1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter Question - Re: Tweeting 'At'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jun 14, 2013.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not if it's interesting or funny.

But the "act like you've been here before" rule applies in most cases. That said, there's a cottage industry of star-fuckers on Twitter who do nothing except tweet to celebrities and retweet the responses.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think that's the first time you ever come close to endorsing a comment of mine. #hellfreezingover

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh bullshit.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Now can someone please explain the hashtag # and when it is/is not applicable?

5. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

It's technically supposed to be a means to search something because it is clickable. If you click on #NBAFinals, you can presumably find everybody else discussing the NBA Finals with that hashtag.

What it has evolved into is teenagers stringing words together without spaces and making the sequence a hashtag.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hashtags are overrated. If you enter #NBAFinals as a string, you'll also find folks who just type "NBA Finals." I'm assuming Twitter's search function has improved over time. (I'm a more recent Twitter convert.)

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yep, hashtags are overrated because of the search function. You can search for Lumineers and not have to worry about #lumineers.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There goes your hipster cred.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

10. Save hashtags for Twitter. Do not put them on Facebook, unless you want to be seen as a teenage girl or a woman older nearing 30 who still acts like a teenage girl.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Or you like trolling people with absurd opinions like this. #hashtagsforever #hashtagseverywhere

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Facebook is adding hashtag capability now.

Draft saved Draft deleted