1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter Question - Re: Tweeting 'At'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm pretty new to Twitter, right?

So last night I tweeted something US Open-related 'at' one of my favorite former pro golfers (now a commentator). Today I looked in my @ Connect and see that he responded. Awesome. So I was thinking I might get some new followers out of this. I go to his Twitter page, and his tweet to me is not there. Yet it appears on my page as part of our 'conversation.'

Is there a way to Tweet privately to someone so that it appears on her page but not yours?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Any tweet you make is going to appear on your page. The only way for it not to show up publicly is if you Direct Message somebody.

To do that, just start a message with "D" and then their handle. (They have to be following you in order to receive it, though.) For instance:

If you're both following each other, then you can have a private conversation through DMs that way.

The other way to tweet "at" someone is to start your message with an @ mention, like this:

This will show up on your page and her feed. But nobody else will see it unless they're following BOTH of you.

If you want to @ mention someone but you want everyone to see it as if it's a normal tweet, you can start your message with a period, like this:

That's why you see people start their tweets with a period sometimes. Or you can rewrite it in such a way that you're not starting your message with the @ mention. But most people are too lazy to rewrite creatively in 140 characters.

3. Lugnuts

Sigh. Complicated.

Here's what happened. I said:

@USGA ... something something #Tiger something something, am I right, @former pro golfer?

So the former pro golfer responds:

@Lugnuts @USGA something something.

I see it when I expand conversation on my page, but I don't see it on his.

HOW AM I EVER GOING TO GET FOLLOWERS THIS WAY? ;D ;D ;D

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sex tape.

5. Lugnuts

;D I was really hoping to avoid that.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh. In that case, go to their page and under Tweets, click to show "All" instead of "No replies."

https://twitter.com/USGA/with_replies

Most people don't want to see replies, because it clogs up the timeline. So the default is no replies.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Also, when replying to someone, make sure you put a period before the @ symbol at the beginning of the tweet. I don't want to confuse you or myself in explaining why, but just do it.

8. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

If you do that, people following you can't see the tweet on their timeline unless they're following the person you're tweeting at.

9. Lugnuts

@buckweaver you're so smart. You figured it out. I do appear on his page. Hot diggity!

10. Lugnuts

So just to clarify:

If I want the whole world to see my tweet at somebody, I start with a .@ ?

Or if I DON'T want the whole world to see my tweet at somebody, I start with a .@ ?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When in doubt, take buckweaver's and wicked's words over NDJ.

Actually, even when not in doubt.

12. Lugnuts

Would it be tacky for me to retweet this guy's response to me?

Draft saved Draft deleted