1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter pays engineer $10 million as Silicon Valley tussles for talent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 13, 2013.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

That isn't the point. Do you think if you could if you wanted to?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The entirety of my education didn't prepare me for a career in the sciences, so no.
    Our brains are wired in certain ways.
    This should go without saying.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I do believe an orderly mind could make a clean transition to medicine, tho.
    If you don't get lost in the thickets of the math involved.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And you don't faint at the sight of blood.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

The question at hand, though, is if your education had emphasized math and science, would you be able to do it?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Why are you here?

You're supposed to be working on your next killer set at Zanie's open mic.

Six months.

We're waaaaaaaiiiiitinnng.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm one for one.

I'm perfectly happy with that record. If the mood strikes me, or if I think of something funny, I may do it again, but I'm in no hurry. I've crossed that one off my list.

But hey, why don't you give us a sample of your work?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You're the one babbling that hard work and applying yourself can lead to whatever career you choose, not me. I'm asking you to put your money where your mouth is. Afraid the second time won't go as well? Yeah, that's the nature of the beast.

9. YankeeFan

I'm not "afraid" I just have no desire to do it at this time. That could change.

I'm not going to learn a foreign language at this time either, but I know I could if I wanted/needed to, and made it a priority.

I'm also sure i could not become a software engineer. But, I bet I could have if that was my goal from a young age.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My goal from a very young age was to tee it up on a Sunday in April at Augusta National. I still have a chance ...

11. YankeeFan

Hey, I wanted to play for the Yankees. I realized pretty young it wasn't going to happen.

What we're talking about isn't the same thing.

Germans aren't "better" at math than Americans. Indians and Chinese don't make better software engineers.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't recall the exact stats, but it's something like 1-2 percent of HS football players play in college. Out of those college players, something like 1 percent play in the NFL.

In YF's world, all those other players could have made it if only they worked hard enough. Ability has not thing to do with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted