1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter pays engineer $10 million as Silicon Valley tussles for talent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 13, 2013.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Take it from someone who has been doing this four years, If you did it once and you killed, you either (a) had beginner's luck, which I've seen time and again. Its when they go up a second and third time and eat their balls that we really see what they're made of. (b) had the audience so front-loaded with buddies that your material was certain to kill. Or (c), you're some motherfucking prodigy that shouldn't be fixing coffee machines.

Everyone circle their answer.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you're wildly underestimating just how exceptional the average engineer in Silicon Valley is. Wildly. (As an aside, I think you're wildly overestimating how exceptional the $10 million a year guy is.) You don't even get to play in that league unless you've already stood out for a long, long time.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but when I here hear cranberry say he's incapable of learning a foreign language, or KJIM say her sister couldn't possibly learn how to properly use a comma, I call bullshit.

Excellence isn't acheived achieved, unless excellense excellence is sought.

People aim for average, and want to chalk up those who acheive achieve excellence as "gifted" beyond their means. I don't buy that.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is a certain lazy comfort in believing that we're all just gifted in our own way.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

It's acceptable for you to misspell four words in one post, but the rest of us should be out learning to code?

6. YankeeFan

"Spelling. That's not a subject, right? I mean, spellcheck, that's a program."

KJIM's sister would sympathize. I just never could learn how to properly spell.

It's just not my fault. I wasn't gifted in that way.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tiago Splitter makes $10,000,000.00 a year. And there's a New Yorker article about DJs in Las Vegas who make 50k and more a night.

281 NBA players are under contract to make 2 million or more this season.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jesus. This is just your stupid "bootstraps" conceit playing itself out again. People have a wide range of cognitive abilities and, yes, much of it is genetic. It's why we have aptitude testing and the entire field of psychometrics. How do you explain savants?

I imagine you spent much of your childhood trying to hammer round pegs into square holes.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You don't seem to be able to.

Look, people have different aptitudes. My younger sister is a barrel racer and horse trainer. I can't do that, either, and I am the one who got her interested in horses. Same interests, different talents.

I am lousy with learning other languages, too. And I'm someone who's twice (so far) been immersed in foreign cultures and has tried -- hard -- to learn the languages. During Peace Corps, I had a tutor for a solid year. I can still barely order dinner, although I do amuse at Moroccan restaurants.

I don't have those things in me. That's all there is to it.

10. YankeeFan

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Huh?

Look, YF, engineering isn't some people's thing. It has shit to do with math.

Not everyone can do everything.

I don't know you personally, but I'm thinking empathy and sympathy aren't anything you at which you could make a living. You just don't have it in you, although you think you might.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I believe I'd rather die than do computations all day.
    No, thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted