1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter pays engineer $10 million as Silicon Valley tussles for talent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 13, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hard to understand why they would pay so much, when they could simply outsource these jobs.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Take the day off. You're way, way over the "thoughtful/annoying" line these days. Misinterpreting things to the 93Devil degree.

3. YankeeFan

Ouch. You know how to hurt a person.

Your post didn't bother me at all until you dropped the bomb on me.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Awesome. Everyone can now become engineers!

5. YankeeFan

Are there folks for whom it's not an option?

While everyone's not going to do it, the folks that put in the time and hard work can expect to be rewarded:

6. Baron Scicluna

Everyone can become a doctor, or a scientist, or an NFL player, according to you, if they just put in the time and hard work, right?

7. YankeeFan

Well, NFL player requires physical attributes not everyone has.

Aside from folks with mental handicaps, are there some people not smart enough to become software engineers, if they work hard, study, and apply themselves from a young age?

8. Baron Scicluna

You answered your second sentence with your own first sentence.

Being an NFL player requires certain physical attributes. Don't you think that being a software engineer requires certain mental attributes?

9. YankeeFan

Sure.

Who do you think lacks them? Anyone on this board? Their kids?

Mental attributes can't be developed, or are some people just born too dumb?

Not every software engineer is some kind of super genius.

10. Baron Scicluna

Excellent. According to you, everyone who doesn't have stellar mental attributes is just too dumb.

And I'm the one who gets ripped on for referring to a violent asshole as "welfare trash".

Here's the thing YF, not everyone has the mental ability to become an engineer. Or a doctor. Or a journalist. Or a coffee machine repairman. Not everyone is good at math, or science, or at writing or at mechanical things, no matter how hard they work or how hard they try. That doesn't make them dumb.

11. YankeeFan

Sure they do.

"Not being good at math" is bullshit. The mind needs to be developed.

To dismiss everyone smart enough to become a software engineer or doctor as some sperm lottery winner is absurd. It's an excuse.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Me.

Me father was a chemical engineer, which I am not even sure what is. My sister, the rocket scientist, majored in electrical engineering.

I lack the ability to become an engineer. It doesn't make me stupid. Thanks for insinuating that it does, though.

I'm fine with my capabilities, and my sister is perfectly fine that she can't explain a power play and doesn't always know how to use commas correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted