1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter is AWESOME

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I felt that way for the longest time, until I forced myself to try it. I follow news sources and reporters and media outlets, so for me, it sort of replaces what this board used to be before all the running threads: An endless stream of headlines and links. I think you would like it from that aspect.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Someone link the Greg Anthony tweet about getting "throat-f*cked" ... funniest shit I ever saw, right next to a big smiley picture

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And here I had Pat Robertson in the "Invoking God's Wrath" pool.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Don't tell people what to do.

And its on this thread.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know this has its own thread elsewhere, but in the interest of keeping the "awesomeness of Twitter" thread robust and comprehensive, I must post the Japan tweets that got Gilbert Gottfried fired as the Aflac duck:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-10-worst-gilbert-gottfried-tsunami-jokes

I'd have to say the classiest one is "I asked a girl in Japan to have sex with me. She said okay, but you'll have to sleep in the wet spot."

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bruce Arthur, a National Post columnist talks about his five favourite people follow and generally why he likes Twitter

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/03/14/bruce-arthurs-five-to-follow-on-twitter/

For me, Twitter is two things. One, it’s the best way to know what’s happening, and to filter out what’s important about it. I don’t visit half the websites I used to regularly patrol, because the good stuff inevitably shows up in my feed. It’s like crowd-sourcing, except I get to pick the crowd. It’s a big Internet, but I catch most of what I want to catch.

Two, it’s the best way for me to let loose all the extra summary judgements, arguments, links, endorsements, condemnations, and half-baked jokes I have rattling around in my head. It’s way to interact with the people who read what I write, with colleagues, and occasionally with idiots. It’s a voice outside columns, outside the privacy-violating death of Facebook, outside of yelling out the window. I hated the notion of Twitter before I joined. Now it’s the most indispensable thing on the Internet.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

you could aggregate all of his tweets and tweets of others you are interested in into unique lists.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yeah, it also saves a lot of time typing if you're Googling "Jim Gaffigan Twitter" then "Dave Chapelle Twitter" then "Judd Apatow Twitter" then "Aubrey Plaza Twitter" then "Ken Tremendous Twitter" then "Mindy Kailing Twitter."

If you find all those people funny, you can find them with one click once you set it up.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought we already paid Japan back for Pearl Harbor.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you're going to call Japan out for something, do it for the Rape of Nanking or the way they treated POWs in general. But I'm guessing Cappie Pondexter's historical frame of reference doesn't run that deep.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Cappie Poindexter is lucky to live in a place in which attacks are so rare that we commemorate days for them (Dec. 7, Sept. 11).

In many part of Europe, it was Pearl Harbor or worse, every day, for 1000+ days.

Draft saved Draft deleted