1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter is AWESOME

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 16, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Greatest invention in history for exposing people as the idiotic dolts they are. People are in such a rush to have the world read their bon mots - they forget the fact that many are imbeciles.

21 just posted a link in another thread to this guy, and has to resign from a fellowship
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/02/16/2011-02-16_nir_rosen_us_journalist_trashes_cbs_lara_logan_on_twitter_after_sexual_assalt_in.html?r=news

This Auburn football player uses twitter to find someone to write his term paper
    http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/who-is-good-at-writing-papers-i-pay-29497

Examples come up daily.

I have no need for twitter, but people making the news daily with their twitter is an endless source of entertainment.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You are absolutely right. Twitter is awesome. And I tell my friends all the time, even if you don't Tweet, you need to get a Twitter handle to see all the crazy shit go down.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised an Auburn player even had to ask to have his schoolwork done for him.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How the Auburn player wasn't Ryan Pugh is amazing. Kid has taken every shortcut he could in the last eight years.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This probably doesn't fit the narrative, but Twitter is a heck of a tool for tracking down high school scores that haven't been called in.

We started using it this fall as a tool to help us administrate our high school football efforts. When we see a final score tweeted, we put that game "on the clock." If we haven't heard from them within 15 or 20 minutes, we start calling the coach or the guy who keeps the book. It really improved our success rate in getting box scores for the games where we didn't send reporters.

In basketball season, now that the playoffs are here, it helps us get scores from some downstate locations without having to pester other papers all night long.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought it was No. 2 to SportsJournalists.com.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's pretty smart.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

BUMP. For Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and his current mistweet asking some dude named Carl to call him at 313-373-7777.

(Note, I was going to leave out the number, but its too late. He def. screwed that one up. It's all over the place now.)

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bump. This time for the awesome accidental Tweet by the Red Cross. The worker feels really dumb, but they cleaned it up pretty well.

http://mashable.com/social-media/

For those who don't want to follow the link, here is what happened:
    -Red Cross PR person using Hootsuite Tweeted about a co-worker finding beer in the fridge and wanting to get drunk.
    -Red Cross realizes she accidentally tweeted that on the Red Cross account, not her personal account
    -Red Cross issues a tweet saying everything is okay, the Tweeters are now sober and car keys have been confiscated.
    -Beer company mentioned in original tweet starts blasting out tweets about donating to the Red Cross and makes some donations themselves.

Pretty cool.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Padres center fielder Cameron Maybin has also found himself caught in a Twitter controversy:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/17/maybins-tweet-creates-stir/

The original tweet has been deleted, but the story goes like this:

1. Maybin eats at Panda Express.
    2. He gets sick.
    3. He tweets that the food from Panda Express got him sick.
    4. He finds out that the former CEO of Panda Express is one of the Padres' minority owners.

Oops.

EDIT: Here's the original tweet, courtesy of Hardball Talk's Craig Calcaterra:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/16/cameron-maybin-may-be-in-trouble-with-the-padres/

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Plus, if he has enough followers Panda Express could probably sue him. He is a celebrity who is publicly defaming the company. He could have eaten something else earlier that made him sick. Gotta love Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted