1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter goddamn useless: the WWW equivalent of scribbling on the bathroom wall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Apr 17, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's all well and good, but if you're working in a newsroom you're still going to have to deal with the "Twitter is saying Don Shula is dead!" bullshit that keeps happening. Maybe no one YOU follow posted that, but as long as SOMEBODY did it will get around fast enough that you're going to hear it --- and, depending on your news organization's locale, prepare to deal with it if it's true.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Hondo is Dez Bryant.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And Uncle Ruckus is Jeff Ireland.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm following this MIT stuff right now on Twitter. Not the papers. Not TV. Both of which have nothing. This is absolutely riveting stuff. To say Twitter is useless is a joke.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You tell me how twitter is making money for newspapers who actually are scooping themselves by printing information on twitter? It's actually very lazy to tweet something instead of quickly writing a story for the newspaper website. Somebody tell me the value of twitter to a newspaper - the financial value.

6. Fredrick

And how is this riveting stuff being put out by newspapers saving newspaper jobs and making newspapers money?

7. lantaur

Don't take this the wrong way, but get a fucking clue.

8. Fredrick

Why don't you attempt to answer my question? Twitter was made popular by celebrities like Ashton Kucher (sp) and Larry King who have nothing better to do. Newspapers grabbed it and pretty much decided it was a forum to print scoops. Never mind that the scoops appear on twitter before they appear on the website of the newspaper doing the scooping. It is another example of misguided higher-ups who should have been charging for their internet product 15 years ago.

9. lantaur

There are more important things going on in life right now than arguing about making money off twitter. Hence get a clue. I'll argue with you about your incorrect points another day (in fact, have done so previous. Feel free to look it up, I'm going back to this TV feed from Boston and Twitter).

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/reports/article/102872/a.aspx.

Sums it up nicely.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The nut graph, for me anyway.

"However, there was still plenty of noisy misinformation. At one point, everyone was tweeting that both suspects had been taken into custody."

Everyone . . . was wrong.

I don't find that enthralling. I find it ridiculous.

12. lantaur

"Everyone" - please. Not the people I was following. There was some great information out there. You just have to know how to tune out the noise.

Draft saved Draft deleted