1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter goddamn useless: the WWW equivalent of scribbling on the bathroom wall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hey I heard your girlfriend is a slut

Oh yeah well your sister sucked a dick and I heard your brother is the #BostonMarathonBomber

Citizen Journalism!!!!!
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm confident that the most-used non-curse word on Twitter is "Wow" or "Whoa." It's indisputably No. 1 for sportswriters.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What does CNN, Fox, the Boston Globe, and many other legacy news outlets screwing up have to do with Twitter?
  4. Starman

Twitter fuels the white-noise machine and provides pressure to go public instantly with every scrap of concocted and unconfirmed pseudo-information.
  5. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

This. Blaming this on twitter is tone deaf and belies a lack of understand of what social media is and how it can be used effectively. Lazy.
  6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bah. I say it's pretty damned handy.
  7. Starman

Yeah well somebody just tweeted your sister is a slut.
  8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But when Irresponsible TV News Organization puts out a bad report, you can bet on the screen there's a hashtag-whatever encouraging people to "join the conversation," er, peddle the bad report and therefore turn a shitstorm into a bigger shitstorm.

Like I read somewhere, Twitter is great for the first five minutes of a crisis and then worthless for the next 24 hours.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's a good description.

"Hey, something just happened at ----------!"

Cool. Now, get off the site and try to find out what DID happen.
  11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ban me if you want. I'm outing Starman.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Twitter isn't the problem. It's morons who don't exercise good judgment in using it. Ninety-nine percent of it is in the race to be first instead of being right.
Draft saved Draft deleted