1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter fights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newinthefield, Apr 22, 2011.

1. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

Sorry, this isn't a link to an epic one.

My question is this, would you argue/repond with folks who leave comments/criticism on your Twitter or Facebook page, assuming you are a reporter and use that account strictly for your newspaper business?

I can understand a columnist doing so since he/she is giving their opinion in the first place, but should a paid reporter be permitted to do that?
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would ignore it. If someone points out something factually wrong with a story, you could respond politely.

Otherwise don't engage.
  3. Sue

Sue New Member

I disagree. The whole point of twitter is to engage with your readers. As long as they're being civil.
  4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In my typical wishy-washy way, I say it depends on the comment and whether there's an intelligent "conversation" to be had, but always, always keep in mind: You're talking as a representative of the newspaper, not just yourself, and your comments should be made with that in mind.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Since newinthefield said "argue/respond" I think it's best he just sits on his hands.
  6. billikens

billikens Member

Responding to argue is almost always a bad idea. But responding to discuss (even if it's responding to a disagreement) can be extremely beneficial.

We all know there are some situations where it's best to just ignore someone, because there's nothing you can say that will bring anything positive to the conversation. But if it appears they'd be willing to discuss the topic in a civil manner, then engagement via Twitter is a great tool. But at that point, the writer turns into a customer service representative of his/her media outlet.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The things you have to be careful of with twitter/email is that your comments can be misconstrued and they can be saved and shared.

So if you respond to a tweet about why you don't ever cover Podunk High softball and you (who have covered every home softball games this year) say, "Right, we had Podunk softball" that can be pasted on to the vibrant Podunk softball message board as though you were being honest, instead of sarcastic.
  8. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

I don't have this problem. I'm just curious on others' thoughts about the idea.
  9. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Just be courteous. Politely engage in discussions over the subject matter, whether it's defending your work or countering someone else's argument. Don't bite on personal attacks; laugh them off.
  10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

So basically, imagine what TJ Simers with a Twitter account would do, and then do the opposite?
  11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

He seems to have one, but alas, it appears automated:

And rmanfredi, I think Simers would be GREAT on Twitter if he were ever active on it.
Draft saved Draft deleted