1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter, Facebook attacked by hackers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Both sites have been fluky all day for me. I only use Twitter to promote blog updates, and it took me several tries to get my latest one up.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

So I have to be your stunt double too?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bubbler likes this.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Thanks for making my day.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Probably the second one, in a case of Russian botnets v. one poor blogger in Tbilisi.<blockquote>NEW YORK - The outage that knocked Twitter offline for hours was traced to an attack on a lone blogger in the former Soviet republic of Georgia — but the collateral damage that left millions around the world tweetless showed just how much havoc an isolated cyberdispute can cause. . . .

The attacks Thursday also slowed down Facebook and caused problems for the online diary site LiveJournal. But Twitter, the 140-character-or-less messaging site used by celebrities, businesses and even Iranian protesters, suffered a total outage that lasted several hours.

Those attacks continued Friday from thousands of computers pummeling its servers, said Kazuhiro Gomi, chief technology officer for NTT America Enterprise Hosting Services, which hosts Twitter's service.

Twitter crashed because of a denial-of-service attack, in which hackers command scores of computers toward a single site at the same time to prevent legitimate traffic from getting through. The attack was targeted at a blogger who goes by "Cyxymu" — the name of a town in Georgia — on several Web sites, including Twitter, Facebook and LiveJournal. . . .

Just who was behind these attacks is not yet clear, but the dispute was probably related to the ongoing political conflict between Russia and Georgia. . . .

The attacks seemed to come in two waves.

The first was a spam campaign consisting of e-mails with links back to posts by Cyxymu. This drove some traffic to the blogger's postings on various social-networking sites, possibly to disparage him as the source of the spam.

The second and more destructive phase consisted of the denial-of-service attack, which attacked the sites' servers by sending it lots of junk requests — presumably to prevent people from reading his viewpoints.

It would have been much harder for the perpetrators of the attacks to isolate Cyxymu's accounts on each social-networking site and shut it down. To do that, they would have needed to access his password by guessing it or somehow luring him into giving it out.

The blunt approach was easier — and more damaging.</blockquote>Read more ...

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's ok. I needed an excuse to watch less TV anyway. I am worried about not being able to work again, what with the ice pick I just put through my retinas...

Draft saved Draft deleted