1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter & Election Day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think I joined in 2009. But I've never tweeted about breakfast. Also: I don't eat breakfast.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Interestingly enough, this site turned me on to Twitter. I had never heard of it before then. It was the thread about someone in the media tweeting at a boy's funeral. Seems like the year was 2009.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

We did. In fact,. the city editor sent sports in first.

It
    s amusing, because our ME is a former sports guy, as I am, and we're both amused by the whole election night thing.

We were told to only tweet once a race was officially decided.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

#StayInLine

5. Lugnuts

I think Twitter had almost nothing to do with the reporting of the results. People seemed to still be waiting for the TV networks to call it.

6. I was at the courthouse and tweeted running results of close, local races.

7. Lugnuts

Election Night did produce the most Re-Tweeted post of all time:

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2012/11/election-night-produces-the-mo.php

Election Night drove Twitter. It wasn't the other way around.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had my computer, iPhone and iPad on different sites last night, checking this that and whatever. Not once did I go to Twitter. Didn't see a need. What could Twitter have told me that news sites couldn't?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Depends on why you'd go there. I had the TV on for the "news" portion of it. And I had Twitter up for the "fun" (and sometimes "scary") portion of it. To me, the "news" was pretty boring without the "fun." But to each his own.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The only Twitter interaction I had yesterday was with you and your wife and her man-crush (and your eventual replacement)

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That was Facebook.

But yes, she was...let's see, what's an old-man phrase you'd get?....over the moon?.....about yesterday's happenings.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sonner's getting dumped for Barack Obama?

Draft saved Draft deleted