1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter & Election Day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Twitter wasn't big in 2008, so I'm wondering how it will play into tonight's reporting of the results.

MSM has tried, with limited success, to wait before calling anything until polls close. Twitter will have no such restraint in a world full of itchy twitter fingers.

I'm already seeing tweets about turnout, like Ed Rendell saying black turnout is higher than in '08. Really? How does he know?

Hoping to keep this on topic- ish. Thanks, Moddy.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Interestingly, in talking to a number of my friends who are still in the business -- a number of the bosses have put, for all intents and purposes, a gag order on Twitter until the results are known. As in "do not comment on exit polls or on anything until the thing is called officially"

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Keep it to this topic and we will be fine - spill over from the politics thread and we will not be. PLEASE show me you can do it, as it is an interesting topic for discussion

THANKS

4. I've been getting Tweets from Mitt Romney periodically all during the day saying America needs to get back on track, time for a change, make sure you vote, re-Tweet this message to friends who haven't voted, etc.

All very well done. The Romney campaign seems to have a pretty good handle on the technology. I've said it before but the Romney campaign will go down as one of the best run in history. Not sure about the Obama campaign - has anyone been getting Tweets from them?

Drudge is also very good with Twitter and I don't think he'll embargo anything he feels newsworthy. If Drudge reports something - then does that give other media the OK to report it as well? Could there be situations where someone leaks something to Drudge just so they can go ahead with their own story?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Short answer -- no, the fact that Drudge "reported" something does not give anyone carte blanche to run with it.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've been getting a tweets all day from Donald Trump asking thought provoking questions on Obama Presidency.

2nd to that I seem to be getting a lot of tweets promoting A.J. McCarron for the Heisman.

Roll Tide !

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

[quote author=Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L) link=topic=93404.msg3473930#msg3473930 date=1352243641

All very well done. The Romney campaign seems to have a pretty good handle on the technology. I've said it before but the Romney campaign will go down as one of the best run in history. Not sure about the Obama campaign - has anyone been getting Tweets from them?

[/quot

I've been getting Obama tweets.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I wonder if that will lead to multiple races being called by folks not in the media.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope the newsside guys are sharing their pizza with the sports department tonight.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Some of us are working on both sides.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It could - AP will be making calls all night.

I think there could be a lot "blogger" types making calls

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Hey!

I was on Twitter in 2008!

It was back when people still said about Twitter, "No one cares what you had for breakfast." But now, photos of breakfast are the coolest thing ever.

I'll be saving election-related Tweets at the end of the night, for posterity.

Draft saved Draft deleted