1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter dunks on concept of unpaid internships

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Mar 1, 2021.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

In case anybody wasn't on Twitter today, NFL Network's Jane Slater sparked an uproar when she touted the benefits of an unpaid internship.

Naturally, this did not go over well on Twitter. And she has been dunked on. Mercilessly. To the point "unpaid" is trending in the US.

2. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

It's no secret that the only people who can "grind" it out for the first 2-3 years of their career are the only ones who(se parents) can afford to make a poverty wage in their early 20s. Someone like Jane Slater should bring some more awareness to that reality, not look for Twitter points talking about how hard they think they had to grind.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Do readers give a shit if the person theyre following for local team free agency or line charts did or didnt intern or how much it did or didnt pay?

“dunking” on some reporter from nfl network you’ve never heard of or met.... for what?

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Twitter overreaction to this, like every Twitter pile-on, was utterly ludicrous.

Adam94 and Severian like this.
  5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It’s embarrassing to insinuate “if you want it bad enough you’ll ‘grind’ and work for free. Can’t work for free? Must not want it enough.” Especially hours after she saw pushback to her initial tweet. This was what she came up with after stopping to think... So dunk away, I say.

Especially considering she comes from money and didn’t have any worries about going a year or two without a paycheck, or with an insufficient one. (Full disclosure, I didn’t grow up rich, but definitely wouldn’t have made it anywhere in the biz without my parents’ help.)

But, she’s not the one who year in and year out decides to offer unpaid internships. The commenters are really angry about an industry that takes advantage of them and selects winners from upper class contenders. She’s just the idiot who unwittingly put her face on that shitty, problematic practice without stopping to think about why people might be pushing back against her initial tweet.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That’s awesome that the pretty white girl from a wealthy family whose chili mogul grandfather paid for her college education was able to bootstrap her way into a gig. If the rich girl can take an unpaid internship, why can’t you?

britwrit, ChadFelter, garrow and 5 others like this.
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My time as an intern was 25 years ago and was unpaid (but it was for high school credit). Are unpaid internships still a thing?

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I've come around to the idea Skip Bayless has the right idea with Twitter. Follow no one, reply to no one, tweet your insanity and move on.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My company eliminated unpaid internships ten years ago after concluding they violated federal law.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. GAWalker

GAWalker Member

The Twitter reaction was hysterical, but this conversation is so 2015.

A more pertinent discussion would be the morality/ethics of college admins and professional journos encouraging anyone to enter this industry in its current state....

11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I can’t think of anything less important right now than this story

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Maybe ... but look at where Jane Slater is financially. Look at where Darren Rovell was when he urged people to consider working for free.

Unaware and tone-deaf much?

Draft saved Draft deleted