1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter courted by Google, Facebook?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Twitter's value is close to $10 billion according to rumors that Facebook and Google are interested in buying the company.

$10 billion for a company with revenue of $45 million. Where is the Pets.com sock puppet when you need it?

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/deals/2011/02/10/twitter-at-10-billion-insanity/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that Twitter is a little more legit than Pets.com.

3. Mizzougrad96

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd go out on a limb and suggest Twitter has a brighter future than Facebook.

I think FB has jumped the shark in the US and it's only a matter of time until it does the same overseas, it's impact on Egypt not withstanding.

Google has constantly evolved as a company. FB, as a product at least, pretty much offers the exact same thing as it did 4 years ago. And I've noticed a marked decrease in posting among my friends. And me, for that matter.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel like Facebook has declined, as well, though it's just a feeling I get from when I was on it. I saw messages decline over time. But I've searched and searched for objective, concrete articles/evidence about that, and have yet to find it.

Question I should know: How the hell does Facebook make any money? Does anybody know? Zuckerberg is a billionaire. Why? How?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd assume most of Zuckerberg's wealth is on paper for private Facebook stock. Besides the stock, I wonder how much cash he really has.

7. Mizzougrad96

Do you notice the advertising on the site?

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Just to play devil's advocate, how old are you? My friends also use Facebook less, but we've aged from being the pioneers of the service at 21 to being 26 to 28 now. For the high school and college I cover, it's still a rarity when someone doesn't have a Facebook account.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not on it. I just remember in the movie him resisting advertising.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm not saying people don't have accounts. I'm just noting an anecdotal feeling that people are using their FB less and less.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But the ad placements are getting smarter and smarter. The other night after watching "The Social Network," my wife and I did a side-by-side comparison of the ads that show up on our pages. They were 100 percent different, and we both agreed that if we were in a buying mood or more impulsive (read: younger), we would definitely be interested in each of the products being shown.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Similarly I see the same manevering re Twitter: Overall traffic might be down, but businesses are getting smarter about integrating it into their marketing. That said, $10 billion seems ridiculous. eBay bought Skype for $4B and the deal damn near brought eBay to its knees.

Draft saved Draft deleted