1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter blocking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JordanA, Jul 15, 2016.

1. JordanA

JordanA Member

So we've all lamented the amount of pandering we now have to do for clicks and how arguably the best place for that is the cesspool that is Twitter, but I'm wondering how many of us here actively do the one thing that guarantees no one sees your links or gives you clicks: block people on Twitter.

I'm a big NASCAR guy and write a column at my local shop. Saturday night during the Sprint Cup race at Kentucky, Brad Keselowski said on his radio he was out of gas with two laps to go, but wound up having enough to win the race. One of the more well-known national scribes tweeted something to the effect of "Keselowski wasn't out of gas. Not sure where people got that." When he was inevitably inundated with tweets saying they got it directly from Keselowski himself, the scribe, who is prone to being a condescending troll on Twitter, immediately went that route at anyone challenging him.

I mention to him that perhaps always being combative wasn't the way to go, and the big shot immediately blocks me. Now, I don't give two flying fucks about that, but I know for a fact I'm not the only one who's gotten that treatment, which leads me to my point: What be the stance of the group here on blocking people on Twitter? I never have, but then, have never had anyone make me want to. But it's interesting to me in that it seems directly counteractive to what most of us are on there to do, which is drum up interest for the product you're peddling.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I blocked someone and they went on a message board rant about it.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mute them. They never know and they still will see your stuff.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Mute all day baby.

Mute is the best thing ever.

(By the way, mute is not only good for trolls but for people who may be your real life friends but have a beat you don't care about so you don't want to see their stuff in your timeline. Or for people you want to be able to DM but don't want to see their tweets.)

JordanA likes this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Must. Not. Comment.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You might wind up blocked.

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Jeff Pearlman is a big fan of the block for those that disagree with him politically.
    He prefers lemmings for his twitter base.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I only block the obvious spam accounts and a handful of really abusive posters.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I started blocking every promoted tweet I saw. I get REALLY interesting ads now.

JordanA likes this.
  10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I've only blocked a few people, a couple of whom were loudmouths and cussed every other word. Only media person I've blocked is someone who I heard on a podcast advocate for homerism among journalists and then extolled the virtues of blocking people on Twitter in his/her next breath. I was happy to try out the blocking advice. Turns out it works well -- hadn't thought of that person again until writing this post.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    JordanA likes this.
  11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Blocking is so 2014. The mute is where it's at.

JordanA likes this.
  12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Blocking on Twitter is for those who want to feel superior. I'd imagine most frequent Twitter users know about muting, but they still block people to sort of punk them for either not agreeing with them or for pissing them off in some way.

JordanA likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted