1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter and the Reds' Media Relations Assistant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 9, 2012.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Says the poster on a message board. :D

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Phil Savage thinks this guy's a dope.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Damnit Buck, beat me to it.

Nothing irrational or in the heat of the moment has ever been posted on this site before from someone at work . . .

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But it's usually posted anonymously.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The people here who have gotten in the most trouble because of this site are usually the ones who are not anonymous. I know two people who have lost jobs directly because of this site and both posted under their real name. One still posts here and the other does not. I know there's another regular who lost a job because of the site, but when he told me the story, it sounded like there were other factors as well.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If you think you are safe just because you post anonymously, you are naive. There's always a possibility your real ID comes out and you had better be willing to live with that fact before posting something.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I never really have any thoughts or emotions that are more than a standard deviation away from the mainstream, but if I did I'd think twice -- no three times -- before sharing them in any public forum (e.g., SportsJournalists.com).

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's much better when you try to burn a high school athlete for something they Tweet.

9. dmurph003

dmurph003 Member

Jamie's one of the good guys. He lost his cool. I'm sure he realized he messed up as soon as he sent the DM. Reds fans and media would be worse off if he lost his job.

On a related note, I think there's a difference between being a media watchdog and being a whiny, snot-nosed internet tattle tale. I'm not sure Deadspin agrees.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I have a little sympathy when Deadspin goes after this kid... Lynn Hoppes, not so much... :D

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Me too ... a little. But there's also a sense of big-boy job equals big-boy ramifications when you screw up. Like DMurphy alluded to - when he sent that DM, he had to know there was a zero percent chance of it not coming back to bite him in the ass. DM or no DM, there was literally nothing good that could have come from that message. It's a horrible lack of judgment to send that.

That said, I hope it's not a fireable offense. On his regular Twitter account, I think it would have been. But as a DM, sitting him down for a couple weeks and throwing the fear of God into him at the prospect of losing a dream job is punishment enough.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This makes the first time Bubbler has been able to write that he's smart enough to do anything. [/baiting]

Draft saved Draft deleted