1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter and the Reds' Media Relations Assistant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Twitter, in the wrong hands = dangerous.
    I don't know this guy from Adam. I know the Reds' main PR guy has a rep of being extremely good, maybe one of the best in the profession. I suspect this particular guy isn't long for his job

http://deadspin.com/5933159/this-reds-media-guy-really--wanted-to-kick-someones-ass-after-todays-loss

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The guy is clearly ai fucking idiot if he doesn't know that Dusty Baker destroys pitchers.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What the heck?

People say/write stupid things all the time they would like to take back. I suspect we've all done it at one point or another.

Bigger question What's the fascination with Twitter in the first place? What good ever comes of it? (I'm not being sarcastic; I'd really like to know cause I haven't found one.)

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

"I'd like to kick your ass" is not something that should ever come out of someone's mouth while on the clock. Dude showed his moronic side. Maybe that's out of character, but the same thing coming from an attorney in the courtroom, a doctor in the ER or a Wendy's associate at the register would be moronic, too.

And I agree on Twitter/all things social. I don't get it. A news flash/alert/whatever you want to call it from a company is one thing, but the back-and-forth messaging in a public forum I just don't get.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Again, I suspect we've all said things in conversation we'd later like to have back. OK, fine. But with this you are putting stuff out there for all the world to see. Why?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

He fucked up. No need to fire him. However, this is a very important lesson for those who love social media. BE VERY CAREFUL.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You got that right.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why you would ever write the words, "I'd love to kick your ass" to an anonymous fan and not expect it to come back and haunt you is brainless.

It has nothing to do with social media either. Email, letter, etc. Those words should never be said/written to anyone on the job.

Social media also can't be blamed for escalation. We've all received complaints, emails, letters, etc., from readers trying to tweak us to our last nerve. You ignore it. Period.

Twitter doesn't/shouldn't change that dynamic.

As far as Twitter itself, if it gives you a chance to engage your readers, you do it. We can't act like we're in some sort of white tower and are above such things.

I enjoy interacting with fans on Twitter, but I'm smart enough not to let trolls bait me into something I regret.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bub, I understand where you are coming from. But it's like posting here, some people say things to provoke an argument. And let's face it, nearly everyone can be goaded into saying or doing something.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I really agree with Drip. (Did I really just type that?)

This guy clearly needs a talking to and needs to chill out before he tweets, but I hope he doesn't get fired...

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

More Twitter idiocy.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you're an impulsive person, stay the fuck off Twitter.

Unless you can point to significant tangible benefits from being on Twitter, don't bother with it.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

AMEN!!

Draft saved Draft deleted