1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter and self plagiarism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That criticism seems outside of the scope of what we were discussing.

Rhody critiqued Rhode Island media.

Gator told him to "grow up" and learn to "keep (his) opinions to (himself)."

I get what Gator is saying. On the other hand, I admire someone who is willing to stick by his principles even though there may be consequences.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

His principled stand is based on an entirely false premise.

It'd be like you arguing that Miguel Cabrera is a great home-run hitter because he throws a lot of strikeouts.

3. Dick Whitman

Someone made a post.

I disagreed with his post.

Not sure what the problem is, other than that you like to dump on people here.

Why? Why do you like to do that?

4. Dick Whitman

Yes. I acknowledged that. But that's different than an admonishment to keep his opinions to himself, offered up as a general principle.

5. Dick Whitman

Again: I am not arguing that Rhody is correct. I am aguing against the general principle stated by Gator that a person should keep his opinions to himself because it might turn off employers.

I don't think you even read what people write. Not carefully. You are in such a hurry to rip on them that you don't take the tim to read what's actually written.

Why? Why do you do that?

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

But if you are raping yourself...is that a good thing or bad thing?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you can't be bothered to get basic facts and terminology straight before making your stand, you just might be better off keeping it to yourself.

8. Dick Whitman

Nothing.

But you didn't understand mine. You responded with some non-sensical post about how if you weren't working, you'd have a blog. That wasn't a response to the post I made. It had nothing to do with it.

You just like to rip on people, though.

Why?

9. Dick Whitman

Why do you like to be mean to people here?

Why?

What satisfaction does it give you?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I tell myself no, but I just won't stop.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you "have a hard line when it comes to ethics," you should be disappointed in yourself. Maybe you could write a blog about it.

Accusing someone of plagiarism without being 100 percent sure it's plagiarism (let alone not knowing what plagiarism means), is majorly fucking unethical.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is quite a good point. I am assuming all of the photos Rhody uses to augment his blog are from professional news services that expect to be paid.

Draft saved Draft deleted