1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter and self plagiarism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 5, 2014.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If you're a columnist and are asked to go on a local sports talk radio show to talk about, say, the local pro team and the looming trade deadline, and you give your opinions as to what they should do, who they should keep, who they should look to acquire, then a day or two later write a column about that subject and make some of the same points, is that plagiarism?

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I also know of a notes columnist who Tweets out a bunch of his items as individual Tweets. Not sure whether he does this shortly before or shortly after they appear stacked up in his column, but to me it's all cross-promotion. He doesn't Tweet out everything from his column, nor is his column only made up of Tweet material. He's just offering his work to followers in a different form. If someone feels they're reading a rerun, they can stop.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I plagiarize myself every time I tell my wife I love her.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Then stop telling her that.

That was easy.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

One of the sports columnists does that - he tweets one of his thoughts, then links. The column I'm talking about wasn't that. This wasn't promotion.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Many beat writers tweet during games. Notes, stats, stuff they overheard, whatever.

When some of that stuff is repackaged later into the print game story or blog on the paper's website, does anyone view that as plagiarism?

I know it's not a column, but still.

Linking personal tweets to self plagiarism is a stretch, IMO.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Kill this thread for its sheer stupidity. By same logic, stuff in tomorrow's paper would be plagiarizing story posted online today.

8. Rhody31

No, it wouldn't.
    If you write a story today and print it, then reuse that story next week, is that OK?
    Because that's what happened.
    Just because it happened on Twitter doesn't make it OK.
    This wasn't a tease. This wasn't a writer trying to promote the product. Not once did he tweet a joke, then say "read my March 5 column for more!"
    This was a guy who only had enough original thoughts to do half a bullet column, so he went through his Twitter timeline looking for material and filled in the blanks and passed it off like it was all new stuff that had never been published - not to mention one joke that says his son had just left home when in reality he left at least two weeks prior. So there's one line that's a misrepresentation of fact.
    If he puts a header on this that says "Best of my Twitter Feed," awesome. I'm OK with that. Probably not reading it, but I know what I'm getting into.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sort of. They're usually under the heading of "Random Thoughts," and my column tagline says " ... shares more random thoughts at (twitter handle)."

10. SellOut

SellOut Member

What did they used to say a decade ago when the web started taking precedence over the paper product, 'you can't scoop yourself' by posting online then having same (or updated) story in next day paper? Isn't this the same?
    Twitter for some (myself occasionally) has replaced a notebook as a place to jot down insights, stats, etc., during a game.
    Feel free to call said columnist lazy if you want. But unethical? Christ if that's unethical then we're in more trouble than I thought. (Note: WE'RE ALREADY IN A LOT OF FUCKING TROUBLE)

11. Rhody31

I like that. It's attributed and becomes a regular feature that people, in theory at least, look for in print and on twitter.

Lazy and unethical are usually one in the same.
    Twitter isn't a notebook. It's a published entity. Do a lot of papers publish breaking news in the middle of the afternoon, then use the same exact story in print? Not the good ones.
    I get worked up because for six years I worked my ass off. I didn't subscribe to laziness. We had a chain of weeklies and if one school for one played a school for another, I'd write two different stories because I wanted to serve my readers the best I could.
    Laziness shouldn't be OK. It shouldn't get a pass. I'm sure this columnist wasn't thinking plagiarize, but I don't think about speeding if I'm trying to get somewhere fast.

12. Is this any different than if someone posted three blogs on the site throughout the day, compiled them into a notebook and then ran them in print?

Draft saved Draft deleted