1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter and self plagiarism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You can click the blog if you want, but here's the nut:
    ProJo news columnist writes "Tidbits" column with 29 tidbits; problem is 15 are tweets from the previous two weeks. There is nothing in print that says these are from his twitter feed.
    It got me all fired up, so I blogged about with offending tweets.
    To me, this is a common sense violation. You can't reproduce old work - regardless of where it's published - without credit somewhere. I tweeted out the link and the paper's Executive Editor replied "plagiarism is a serious and unwarranted allegation. Mark published his own work - just on another platform."

http://ruebsrealm.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/why-write-a-column-when-you-can-just-ctrlc-one-instead/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is standard practice everywhere -- it isn't plagiarism, it's re-packaging. Your print (or even your Web) audience isn't likely to see your Twitter feed and vice versa.

I think this is a staple of the whole Digital First platform that Jon Paton is selling around the nation.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have no problem with it.

It's different when it's Jonah Lehrer writing the same thing for two different publications.

This was the columnist's personal Twitter feed, right?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems OK to me.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I usually tag three or four of my favorite tweets from the past week at the end of my column.

It would fall under the umbrella of repackaging, I suppose. Many of our readers do not "do" Twitter, regardless.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Saying this is plagiarism is fucking ridiculous.

6. Rhody31

It's his work feed, yes.
    If he's using one-liners from the story with a link, I'm OK with that. But writing tweets then publishing them as original thoughts is wrong. Re-packaging tweets as original content robs the readers who use both platforms.
    Just note it. Tell the readers "These are Tweets from his feed." Don't just put them out there and make people think he was sitting at his computer coming up with these.

I mention it in the blog, but the one about his son just leaving was ridiculous because he had left two weeks ago.

7. Rhody31

Do you note they are tweets?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

By definition, you cannot plagiarize yourself.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was reading a columnist the other day and he had two jokes in his column and I thought, "I've heard that joke before but I'm not sure where..." I went back and the same columnist had tweeted out the same comment during the game. I have no problem with that whatsover. It's this decade's version of saying something out loud in the press box and seeing if it gets a laugh.

A lot of comedians have said Twitter is great because they think of a joke, tweet it out and then later than can find a way to work it into their act.

10. Mizzougrad96

If you could, Rick Reilly would be Jayson Blair.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You just plagiarized your opening post. Apologize!

12. Mizzougrad96

This.

Draft saved Draft deleted