1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twins beat writer, St. Paul, MN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jan 3, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

As bad as Bass may or may not be, wouldn't you infrequently be in contact with him and out of the office a lot?

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

He probably isn't all that bad. On the other hand, you'd hope that a beat writer would be in frequent and close contact with the sports editor.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I just feel an MLB beat is pretty self-explanatory: notebook and game story each game day, feature during an off-day and break news as it happens. There's a lot more freedom on other beats because they don't play as often. But, yes, you do need to speak with an editor. I would think an MLB beat is the most independent beat out there.

4. Chris17

Chris17 Member

HA!

5. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell New Member

These are two major pro beats in a fiercely competitive, four-sport, Big 10 market with excellent space to write well, enterprise and punch your ticket. Sexism is not an issue here.

Never was

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would imagine a paper that size has assistant editors to handle the contact/planning with the writer, but in this day and age, maybe not.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Tell that to the two women who thought it was. Pretty sure Bass got demoted in Cincinnati for the same thing.

But thanks for stopping by, person who has used six of his eight posts to comment on this paper and Minneapolis sports in general. I'm sure you're not biased at all.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

BDC99: I would say in today's world, the sports editor better be in close touch with his/her writers.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would agree. But the larger metros probably have an assistant overseeing the larger beats while the SE handles the day-to-day planning/meetings/etc. Well, at least that's the way it used to be. But I know my SE is a lot more hands-on than 5 years or so ago.

10. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell New Member

"Tell that to the two women who thought it was. Pretty sure Bass got demoted in Cincinnati for the same thing.

But thanks for stopping by, person who has used six of his eight posts to comment on this paper and Minneapolis sports in general. I'm sure you're not biased at all."

Right, because if you're seriously considering applying for one of these jobs you should judge these tired and bullshit allegations by the street cred of habitual posters over someone knowledgeable, who actually works in the market but doesn't navel gaze on the top 10 writers under 30 or waste time looking up the industry's asshole

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What the hell does that mean, Chesty?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Knock it off.

Draft saved Draft deleted