1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twinkies on the brinky (Updated with news that plants will reopen)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Re: Twinkies on the brinky

Well, get another job. The market is amazing that way. Unions take away your right to individually bargain for better pay and benefits. They also burden companies with bad contracts.

Unions, like the environmental and civil rights movements, had a purpose many years ago when people were getting limbs chopped off and were virtual slaves to companies with company housing and company stores. But now? No.
    They're just another whiny part of the multi-headed hydra of envy and economic suicide known as the Democratic Party. They want and they want and they want and like a parasite, they bleed their host dry. Like the unions did to Eastern Airlines. The unions and those noncompetitive contracts they forced these corporations to sign with the threat of destructive strikes are one the reasons our manufacturing sector is headed overseas, replaced with Wal-Mart jobs or just nothing, in this case. I'd much rather have a paycheck from a crappy job than starve. That's not even a point for argument.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I say this with all due respect, which is none: You disgust me.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, management is letting us keep our limbs! That's not all bad.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

While the kind and benevolent corporations bargain with each individual worker on a 1-to-1 basis. What could be more fair?
    If the contract is negotiated illegally, the company has recourse in court. Who knows, perhaps the judiciary might even rule in favor of corporations?

Yahhhhh our enlightened modern kind sweet benevolent loving corporations act in perfect consideration of fairness to employees at all times. No need for unions or any of those silly regulations interfering with the free market.
    As opposed to corporations which so consistently act in the best interests of the citizenry at large. However you do get points for not slipping into the dittohead mantra, "Democrat" party. Pehaps just an oversight. And of course it's just awful for the "Democrat Party" to establish links with labor organizations, because we KNOWWWWWW of course no other major political organization has established up close and personal links with other members of the economic structure (such as the corporatist oligarchy). Of course we know that.
    RWSM/ FFN talking-points boilerplate by and for the single-digit IQ crowd. Not worth wasting keystrokes.

Give the corporate overlords an extra kiss for me, right on the lower side of the musky bag. That's where they like it.

Maybe you'll be okay. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll train you as their pet. You know, train you, feed you, teach you how to do tricks.

Not my blood.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least around here, Bimbo is responsible for Sara Lee and Walmart bread. Know a guy who works for Bimbo and have been in their warehouse. It's all the same company for baking and distribution, with tweaks to the formula.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

After reading this thead I now realize why Alabama is continually rated as one of the dumbest states.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Suburban Connecticutucky is a mighty close second.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the "dumbest" ranking correlates pretty closely with the list of "right to work" states. For whatever, reason -- naivete, lack of confidence, self-loathing? -- people in these places seem to believe (or have been convinced) the way to compete for jobs is to undercut the value of their labor. It's a shame. The race to the bottom is a big factor in the growing wealth gap.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Much of the standard of living gains enjoyed by my naive, self-loathing forebears came at the expense of those sophisticated, empowered workers elsewhere. Sometimes I just can't believe how stupid and short-sighted my father (and grandfathers) were ...

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Stay classy. Good to see that bigotry is alive and well. It's good to see that ad hominem attacks, a favorite tactic of the goose-stepping Left, are still part of the playbook. Don't argue logically. Demean, insult and cut off the messenger.

It's good to see that all of the left-leaning folks adhere totally to the Marxist "Government-good, Capitalism-bad" model that requires so much individual thought and reason.. Corporations are always greedy. Government? Nah...

Collective bargaining is wasteful. Union bosses are corrupt, making huge salaries off dues, which are mandatory in some states. Union rules destroy productivity and promote indolence.

Thank God I live in a right-to-work state. Thank God I live in a state with low taxes where I can actually afford to buy a house and afford gas to put in my car.

As for unions, the states are in the worst fiscal shape are ones dominated by..ding-ding-ding...public sector unions. No connection there. None at all. ::) The right-to-work states are the future.

Nearly every new auto plant in the South is non-union and the workers are just fine and dandy with that. The end of them will be if the UAW ever gets its tentacles in them. My old man made a great living working at a chemical plant that was non-union. He used his individual bargaining rights to get his pay increased with merit raises and promotions every few years because he made himself indispensable. He didn't need a stinking union to do that. You know, the individual. That's right, ant-mound collectivism is your guiding philosophy.

I'm glad to see that you guys would rather be broke and unemployed than have a job, just because it doesn't pay what you think it should pay. Better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven, eh? Just don't expect me to feel sorry for those union workers when they won't make more concessions to save their jobs. Corporations exist to make a profit, not give you a job. Hello! If a corporation is so evil, go work elsewhere. Free country and all. For the time being.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My goodness, what a coherent argument. You've convinced me.

Draft saved Draft deleted