1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twinkies on the brinky (Updated with news that plants will reopen)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 17, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Twinkies on the brinky

Az, I haven't painted any kind of black and white picture, no matter how many stupid, smarmy posts you throw up there. I said early on in this thread that there is no simple narrative with a bad guy and an evil guy in this saga. So when you editorialize with "But that can't be right, because management is always fair and supersmart." you are talking to a wall, not addressing anything I have said. From what you just linked to, which I am thoroughly familiar with:

You can read my posts on this thread. That is all I have said. Over and over again, in fact. You just key on on the part that doesn't fit the narrative you want to create and ignore the other half when I say it.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What makes you think that every post is a reply to yours?

And if this were in answer to something you'd posted specifically, sorry, but the one quoted below seems pretty one-sided, does it not? And kindly note I've created no narrative at all on this thread.

3. The Big Ragu

That was in response to your "management agreed to their demands" post. Am I supposed to readdress everything over and over again so you don't think it is "one-sided"? I was addressing you. ... who have actually had a one-sided narrative, and even more annoyingly, you keep trying to attribute some agenda to me with smarmy "Management are saints" posts. There are no winners and losers in this, and in fact, the union that shut the company down aced itself and contributed to what has been a long-term trend -- as unions cost jobs with their corruption, they become less and less relevant. The PE firm -- the thing everyone wants to demonize -- aced itself, by trying to use a political connection to get itself paid and was so incompetent that it lost more than $100 million. And the politician who tried to play kingmaker between the unions and the PE firm (getting his kid a job on the board of directors and getting himself paid with an equity stake) wasn't powerful enough to rig the game. It was impossible because you had too many competing pigs at the trough.

There is nothing "one-sided" about that analysis. Nor about any of my posts on here.

Was this "one-sided"?
    How about this?

How about this?

Or this?

Or this?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then you should have quoted my post to indicate same.

5. The Big Ragu

OK. Thought it followed from the conversation between you and AQB right above it. Sorry if it didn't.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Unions were good in the beginning. But they went too far." -- Marge Schott.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

UPDATE: They're baaaaaack ...

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/04/23/2475918/hostess-plant-on-victory-drive.html#storylink=cpy

9. The Big Ragu

Good story in the WSJ today on Hostess and the investors doing the turnaround. I thought all along that at the right price this was a good investment. The problem wasn't the product or the market. It was a poorly run company that was ran into the ground.

The Secret to Hostess’s Comeback: Making the Same Old Twinkies

The company is going to trade publicly, symbol: TWNK. Instead of doing an IPO, they did what is known as a SPAC (Special-purpose acquisition company), selling a majority stake to an investment firm called Gores Group, which will form a shell company around Hostess. It is a type of deal that allows stock market investors to invest in private equity deals.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Is the Gores Group associated with Tom Gores, owner of the Detroit Pistons?

Free Twinkies if they score over 100?

11. The Big Ragu

Good call. It is Alec Gores' firm. ... brother of Tom Gores.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I knew Tom Gores had his own equity group, Platinum Equity; I figured there was probably some connection.

Maybe they'll serve King Dons at The Palace.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted