1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twilight opens and/or parents coddle their kids too much

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 21, 2008.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

When High School Musical 3 opened a short time ago, the local news had a report on the day it was released and they talked to people who brought their kids to see it, and it was obvious a few of them were there to see it during school hours. Now maybe some of the kids were home schooled or whatever, but I found it hard to believe that at least a few of them weren't taken out of school to go see the first showing of a movie, which I think is a disgrace. It's one thing to let kids see a midnight showing on a school night, but to take them out of school just to see a movie is not right.

As an aside, I come home from work usually between 1 and 2 a.m., and a few times when I get off the highway into my little community, I will see teenagers just walking the streets after midnight. Every time I see that, I think my parents never would have stood for me out walking around that late, school night or not.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Didn't LOTR come out at Christmas time?
    I remember going to them all on Christmas Eve because I was working the holidays.
    So who would have been in school then?

As far as Twilight goes, I had never heard of it until just a couple of weeks ago. And if I had heard people talking about young vampires in love, I would have thought they were talking about the HBO vampire show.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Fellowship: Dec. 19
    Towers: Dec. 18
    Return: Dec. 17

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not me.

[​IMG]

5. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Hey, I remember Skid opening for Bon Jovi! oh. damn.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Excellent.

I really don't see anything wrong with letting a kid g to a midnight movie for something like this. It's not like there is something like this coming out EVERY week. Several people from my paper went and saw it at a midnight showing.

But yes, parents coddle their kids WAY too much, I just don't think you can points to this as a specific example. If my 14 year old has wanted to go see Star Wars at a midnight movie, I would have let him. Of course I would have gone too. BUt still.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Is this the book series that takes place in Forks, Washington?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hear Twilight movie and I think of the Newman/Sarandon film where a very young Reese Witherspoon has a nude scene.

I had never heard of this movie until I saw Kristen Stewart on Letterman last week. She seemed as boring as a person could be.

Yes, when a movie I've never heard of opens this big, I feel really fucking old.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My 15-year-old went on Friday night with a friend from school. They also spoke about how awful it was and shared the opinion that Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen) was neither a good actor nor hot enough looking for the part. Then they told me they laughed a lot and enjoyed it because it was so cheesy. Then they told me they planned to see it six or seven more times, beginning Saturday afternoon.

As long as she wasn't breastfeeding.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What if, say, there were a midnight release party for a book about "Slap Shot?" :)

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, in that case he'd be there with responsible adult supervision. :)

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

By "responsible" you mean "drunk," right?

Draft saved Draft deleted