1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twilight opens and/or parents coddle their kids too much

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 21, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Listen to you people. GET OFF MY LAWN!!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Parents are stupid. They let their kids do things like this because they wanted to when they were kids. We are afraid to say no.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, "some" parents are stupid and are afraid to say no. Not all of us.

My oldest son is 14. Not that he has the slightest interest in seeing this film but, even if he did, he sure wouldn't be going to see it at a midnight screening. I hope he would know better than to even ask.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had no idea what this book was until about a month ago. I kept seeing Edward Cullen flair on Facebook, and finally I googled it. Had no idea what "Twilight" was. Then I heard about this movie. Still had no idea it was a book or who it was aimed at.

Goddammit am I old.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was thinking more along the lines of an old Jimmy Buffett song about "we are the people they warned us about."
    Since I dont have kids, it would be hard for me to be afraid, but was speaking of a generation. Of course, I'd be afraid too if the only way to buy a gallon of milk was in a bag.. ;)

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My mom probably would have let me go, and chaperoned my girlfriends and I. She teaches, so she's up on all the cool kid things. She took my best friend and I to see Bon Jovi when we were like 12, with Skid Row opening. She probably would have preferred that I like Twilight to Skid Row at that age.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Were you the Youth Gone Wild? :D

We divide our gallon into three bags, just like we do with the wool from black sheep. ;D

8. lono

lono Active Member

WARNING: Sebastian Bach-jack alert!

9. 15-year old daughter went last night.
    She came through the door talking about how awful it was.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

Dude was prettier than me for a while.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Four-book series huge with teenage girls and adult-age women.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd let a kid under, say, 18 go see a midnight showing of a movie on a Thursday night unless there was no school Friday.

On a night when you have no obligations the next day (such as a game, a job or school)? Depends on the kid, honestly. Some kids may be mature enough at 14 to go to a midnight movie. Some may not be mature enough at 17.

Draft saved Draft deleted