1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twilight opens and/or parents coddle their kids too much

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 21, 2008.

1. stan_solo

stan_solo New Member

I think Pallister is more of a documentary kinda guy.

My mom will be at Twilight on her day off. She loves Cedric!

2. Not really sure what difference it makes. I was a good kid and never skipped school, so it wasn't a difficult decision for her to make. It's one night ... not a big deal.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Don't worry, I hate asshole yuppies as much as I hate screaming youngsters. ;)

4. I find it more jaw-dropping to be at Wal-Mart at 1 or 2 in the morning and see parents there with their young kids or babies.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Aside from the midnight movie debate, can someone explain to me why this is such an awaited movie? Even the local paper had a section on their website asking people if they're going to see the movie on the first night. Boggles this oldster's mind. Is it based on books that are big with teens? What's the dealio?

6. It's the next book series fad after Harry Potter.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

one of the dallas stations interviewed a young couple waiting for the midnight showing with their 3-week-old baby!!

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Aha. Thought it might have been something like that.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Except it's not as big or nearly as well written. ;)

And I think I may be long lost friends with PBR. Same age with the LotR stuff and saw the midnight showings, too.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

No, no, no, no, no and no.

Harry Potter is a once-a-century phenomenon that did the impossible: crossed generations, genres and genders. A book that appeals to both boys and girls? Unheard of for the under-18 set.

Twilight is a teen girl vampire love story. It's a very niche audience. It just has the fortunate timing to come along soon after the Harry Potter books/movies, so it gets the unworthy comparison.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A story I read on the wire stated the only males in the audience were fathers chaperoning their daughters and their friends.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yes. It's going to be compared to Harry Potter because its star was in the HP and it's aimed at the same generation, but the writing is absolute crap and only 13-year-old fangirls read it. I tried to read it and failed...abysmally.

And had I (an almost straight-A student who never missed school unless I was on my deathbed) asked my mother to go to a midnight premiere anytime until I was 18 on a school night, she would have flipped her shit. She didn't even like me going to get Order of the Phoenix at midnight at Wal-Mart (yes, I know...only HP release at midnight anywhere within two hours of me though) when I was 17, even though my friends mother was going with us. Something about all of the crazies coming out at midnight.

I think she was talking primarily about the people on this board. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted