1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twilight opens and/or parents coddle their kids too much

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Earlier, I heard an NPR story about the opening of Twilight. Across the nation, theaters held midnight showings on Thursday night. Midnight showings ... for a movie aimed at teens and tweens.

What floored me was the fact some parents were letting their middle schoolers attend. They interviewed a bunch of eighth graders who were attending the midnight show. Eighth graders ... midnight movie ... on a school night.

WHAT THE FUCK!?!

My parents would have laughed me out of the room if I'd asked to attend a midnight movie on a Thursday night. When did parents start coddling their kids like this? Did they also write their kids a note to get out of any tests in school the next day?

2. lono

lono Active Member

What really pisses me off is to go out to dinner late (after 9 p.m.) and seeing how many parents have young children with them. Mind-boggling.

3. I was still in school all three years The Lord of the Rings was in theaters. Saw the midnight showing every year, and it was released on Wednesday each year. I wasn't in middle school, but my mom couldn't care less. She knew I could live with less sleep for one night and wouldn't skip school.

Doesn't bother me. It's one night.

4. Inky_Wretch

I think there's a difference between high schoolers and 13- and 14-year-olds seeing a midnight movie on a school night.

On top of that, who are these parents saying that it's OK? They must be the same people calling demanding we cover the 0-8 team same as the 8-0 team because "they try just as hard."

5. I was 15 with Fellowship of the Ring came out. To each his own, I guess.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Buck, for what's it worth, when I took Mrs. Lono out for our recent anniversary dinner at the nicest French restaurant in Cowshitistan, we were seated next to a table of eight drunken, loud, profane young working professionals, who were not only jackasses, but stiffed the incredibly tolerant wait staff.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Going to the midnight movie on the first night for all three LOTR movies has its own set of problems.

8. ... besides being one of the greatest trilogies film has ever seen?

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Easy there, Frodo.

10. stan_solo

stan_solo New Member

Like the book, it's not really a trilogy, but rather an extremely long work released in three parts ;)

(Yes, I'm a nerd. Bite me, haters! :D)

11. However you want to look at it, it was great work.

Pallister must be a Twilight fan.

12. Inky_Wretch

Would it have been any worse if your mom had not allowed you to see it at midnight on a school night?

Draft saved Draft deleted