1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TWA 800 documentary fans conspiracy flames

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Was it supposed to be a mistake or were they after someone on the plane?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone claimed responsibility for first WTC attack. Just some investigative work led them to the culprits.

3. Very interesting.

It doesn't even have to involve a "cover-up."

Maybe it was just an incredibly complex case with multiple credible possibilities and the dissenting options are pushed aside so that the government can speak with "one voice."

And now the dissenting folks want their voices heard with their equally plausible explanation for how the plane may have gone down.

I'll watch it.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I believe a common theory is that it was shot down by mistake during a Navy training exercise in the area, but don't know the full details of the theory. Just a version I've seen discussed a few times over the years.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This is probably the one I'd buy.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The problem with that is keeping hundreds of sailors quiet.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's probably the most plausible of the possibilities but like Inky said, how do you keep a ship full of sailors quiet for so long?

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That's the version of it I've always heard and at the very least not been willing to dismiss out of hand.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Admittedly not a military man, but if this missile came from, say, a sub, how many of the sailors on board would even know if they hit something? Isn't that something that is just confirmed via radar? And maybe they thought that all they hit was some kind of target they were intended to hit (drone, for example). So there's no need to keep them all quiet, because they don't even realize what they were a part of.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But wouldn't the men on the sub, at the very least, know where the sub was when the missile was fired? Wouldn't be tough to put two and two together at that point, would it?

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, subs carry strategic weapons, anti-sub weapons/torpedoes, and land attack Tomahawks, not anti-air weapons (AAW).

Plus most east coast sub tests are done off of Florida, not Long Island.

Most surface fleet east coast tests are done off of VA's coast, delmarva peninsula. A lot used to be done off Puerto Rico, but that was shutdown around 2003, making VA even busier these days.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Missile or no missle, I bet there was no official cover-up. Just a vague but real sense in the NTSB, FBI, et al. that nobody wanted to deal with the ramifications of a terrorist attack. The "fumes in the tank" theory doesn't seem wildly implausible and so it went.

Draft saved Draft deleted