1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV's Ugly Betty - a hummer in the first five minutes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 1, 2006.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

Just curious. Would you have had the same reaction if you were watching 24 or somesuch show and people are being shot, maimed, blown up?

That kind of content is on regularly in prime time and I find that far more disturbing than sex.

I would have had the samer reaction about the blow job scene - and I have a 12 year old daughter as well - but I tend the screen out the violence more than the sex.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The point was and is, shouldn't that be acknowledged in the parental ratings?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Only if there's a pop shot...

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't watch any of that stuff, so I don't know. I realize that all 12 year olds are different, but some of that violence is pretty intense. My daughter cried for days over March of the Penguins, and won't watch the old movie Stand by Me, because I mentioned there was a dead person in it.

Just let me know what's in the show, whether it's violence, humjobs, money shots, pearl necklaces, beheadings. That's not too much to ask.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Sex and violence have never been on the same footing, be it TV or movies. Seems like movie producers have to tap dance around a lot of sexual no-no's, while two-hour torture fests like "Hostel" and "Saw XXVII" rocket straight to No. 1 with the same R rating a movie like "The Godfather" would get.

But at least Poin has the first step down, that being a concerned parent.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sex is taboo. Violence is not.

Something's wrong with that picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted