1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV's Ugly Betty - a hummer in the first five minutes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Except the original post wasn't about whether it was right to show the episode or even the timing, but the fact that the simulated blow job came out of nowhere when the parental ratings said there'd only be dialogue and language issues.

If nothing else, can we all agree that implied oral sex should be noted in the ratings for an episode?

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Poin,

I'm fairly sure Buckweaver's wife still is interested in sword swallowing.

Sincerely,
    Their Mailman

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I definitely think a "TV-MA ... IOS" is called for.

If not a "TV-MA ... BJ."

That would get those remotes clickin' in a hurry.

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

TV-MA, as in "MA, WHAT IS SHE DOING? Oh, wait, she's sucking dick. God, I didn't think you had to do that after you turn 17."

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So by 2009, I predict TV-14 ATM for the Dawson's Creek reunion show.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

To chime in on a few points here:

1. My parents would have done what Fubar's parents would have, except the lying would have been followed by shooing us out of the room with no explaination why. That only served one purpose: confusion. First they lie and say something is no big deal, but then act like it's a big deal, but there's no understanding of exactly what is a big deal. Pretending that kids are too young to understand things only creates a bad situation.

2. Which leads me to this: poin, you and your wife certainly have the right to have discussions on your own terms, but if you wait around forever for the "right moment" it may never happen. I understand you may not want to have a conversation in front of a guest, but the opportunity did present itself and perhaps under different circumstances it would have been a good opportunity for a conversation.

3. I agree with Buckdub that we have too many Puritanical taboos in our society. Is teenage drinking a "big deal" in Germany? Is marijuana a "big deal" in the Netherlands? No, because it's not taboo. Of course there are parameters placed around the behavior, but it's not criminalized or deemed "bad". It's not black and white. Remember when the drinking age was 18? Did drinking suddenly gain three more years of "badness" when the law changed? Proper perspective on the issues and proper communication with kids is the way to handle these issues.

4. When it does come to talking with kids about heavy issues there is a lot to be said for knowing your child, which is why nobody can set an arbitrary age for introducing a concept or having a discussion. What is age-appropriate for a 12-yr-old girl may not be for a 12-yr-old boy. What is too advanced for your daughter may be necessary information for her friend. And I've seen too many parents balk at their teaching responsibilities, using the "they're too young" excuse to avoid having a conversation that may be embarassing for them as adults. Poin, in no way am I applying any of this paragraph to you, your wife or your daughter. Don't take it personally.

5. I watched the show, thought it was cute, but I'm not OK with the premise that a woman's brain is only worth something if she's not seen as fuckable. Or that good looking women can only sleep their way to the top. Thank you, network TV, for reinforcing the stereotypes. That would be a conversation I'd have with my 12-yr-old:

"Brittany, I think this show is cute, and I'm glad that Betty got her big break. But I'm sad that they're reinforcing stereotypes of women as either ugly and smart or pretty and sex objects. It's not that black and white in the real world. Women have had to work really hard to earn places in the business world, and I'm glad there are TV shows that highlight that, such as Commander in Chief."

There, using almost the same language I would use here on the board.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,233262,00.html

Ugly Betty honored as best new show at the Family Television Awards

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wait, 'dexter, the person who posted a link to the Britney Spears upskirt photos was offended by something on network TV?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed to blow jobs. Just let me know when you are going to put it on TV, that's all I'm asking. As far as Britney's gnarly old cooch and scars, there was a link and a NSFW warning, I believe. If you wanted to check it out from that point, it was up to you.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I guess my next question is, how upset would you have been if Betty was sucking Muslim cock?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In this day and age I don't think you have to explain what a blow job is to a 12 year old---boy or girl.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't think that's allowed, except directly before flying planes into buildings.
    http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/context.jsp?item=a091101beforepinkpony

Draft saved Draft deleted