1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV to Print Style

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TripleBeatExpress, Dec 18, 2013.

1. TripleBeatExpress

TripleBeatExpress New Member

My current editor is coming off of 25+ years in TV and edits copy as if it should be written for TV and it makes me want to punch myself in the face.

Anybody else every deal with that kind of situation? Takes a little getting used to.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

This sounds insane ... tell us more.

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

He will ... right after this break.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is this the guy?

[​IMG]

5. TripleBeatExpress

TripleBeatExpress New Member

There is just a lot of embellishment. "You can never over exaggerate."

He reads copy out loud like he's on the news. I wish I could find a great example of it but it's one of those things you have just witness.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Being a former TV anchor that moved to newsprint nearly a decade ago...it's tough. No one in a position of power should make that switch...and if they do, they should be the ones willing to learn, not the other way around!

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Your editor was a shitty TV news writer.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So I'm guessing "tis' the season" and "white stuff" (no not the kind Lou Grant hates) are now back in play?

Draft saved Draft deleted