1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV sweeps and your hard-hitting local I-team

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

This could have gone in journalism topics, but after consideration I decided to post here since what these hacks do, for the most part, is as far from meaningful journalism as Bob the Anchor's hairpiece is to real hair. Getting to that ridiculous time of year, TV sweeps, in which local stations sic their all-powerful investigative teams on hard-hitting journalistic endeavors like...

Here in Cincinnati, the lame-ass ABC affiliate is hyping two reports. One, in which a pair of police officers injured in the line of duty are having workers comp problems, and the second a revisit of last year's breathtakingly important examination of restaurants' low-cal alternatives and... DA-DA-DAAAAAAAAA!... just how many calories are in them. ::)

Dear God. You've got time and resources to invest in really covering a story, and THIS is what you choose? I guess there's no longer corruption around Cincinnati, egregious underservice of the poor, or laughable hypocrisy in its politicians and or newsworthy folk. That's it -- we've found Utopia! And it's Cincinnati!

Anyway, what groundbreaking journalism is coming up in your market?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mine had something about a cat falling 17 stories and surviving.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

SLIME IN THE ICE BOX!

I don't get Houston TV, but I miss that guy.

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

This reminds me of when the NBC affiliate in Cincinnati spent about half of 1999 investigating "THE MOLDY HOTEL!" in Fairfield.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hookers and revisiting old murders here in Oregon.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Black light in hotel rooms.

7. Killick

Was that Fairfield? Or was that "El Rancho Rankin" in Mount Washington?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The "investigative" reporter at our ABC affiliate is pimping a report about how he went to 500 area restaurants and demanded to see each restaurant's health inspection report. He's pushing the parts taped at the restaurants who gave him a hard time, of course.

Probably one of the reasons I no longer watch the local ABC affiliate's news.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The CBS station here was teasing to their big expose of counterfit money during today's Titans game.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love it when the TV hacks to "investigative reporting." As proof they show a big pile of documents and drop them on a table and then to an ambush interview with a contractor with a suspended license or even better something with "nightvision."

11. Killick

Well, now the Cincinnati Fox affil just chimed in with its I-team hype. They're doing a piece on security cameras. "Find out how often and where Big Brother is watching YOU." Jesus Christ.

This, mere minutes after I watched a 60 Minutes piece that was what these local hacks should aim for. 60M did a piece on e-waste -- CRT and computer pieces from the U.S. that are illegally being dumped overseas. One such dump, in China, is so riddled with lead and toxins from e-waste that 7-in-10 kids have unsafe lead levels in blood, the water is undrinkable (they have to have drinking water shipped in) and cancer-causing carcinogens are the highest on the planet. And most of it is traceable back to U.S. companies. They talked to one guy who was playing the role of gentle green CEO with a heart of gold. Then, confronted him with his bullshit.

GAO report said there are at least 50 companies in U.S. doing same shit. Can't believe that there aren't any within stone's throw of Cincy.

But thank God we're looking at how fattening the menu is at Applebees first.

12. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Later this week it's "strip search," a look into those new security machines at the airport that blow air on you, and the pictures they take of you from all over...

Draft saved Draft deleted