1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV stations suck...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Oct 24, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, I'm going to be provincial and get on a soap box.
    Two cops were shot in the Birmingham, Ala., area today. One officer was killed, the other shot in the leg. The cops have been looking for the shooters all day.
    So I'm watching Jessica Simpson's deep cleavage on Leno and NBC-13 goes to commercial. What do I see? A commercial trumpeting how NBC-13 was on the scene and bringing you the news as it happens.
    Yup, when cops get murdered, we're there. When people die, we're going to act concerned and show you the misery.
    We're going to show our success at bringing you death. I dont have a problem with covering a story. That's news. But...
    All of those newsside asshole suits who decided to promo "We were first to bring you their last" like that should be made to assume the position, stick their fingers up their asses and be clubbed senseless.

Don Henley was right... fucking bunch of assclowns

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Only mildly related, and I will be as vague as possible so as not to out anyone in this story about how TV reporters might differ from print reporters:

I was in a bar recently when one of the major sports anchors in my market sits down one seat away. Some news of regional interest breaks on the ESPN crawl while we are watching another sporting event. I observe him calling his station to make sure they are aware of this. Then, he calls a COMPETING station to make sure they don't look like idiots, telling the person at the other end of the line, "Just don't tell anybody I told you this." Maybe I'm wrong and this happens in the print medium too, but it was unseemly.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Um, not that I've ever heard of.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This isn't unheard of for print reporters. I'll leave it at that for now.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Funny... according to the consultants, that shit's really important to you.

By the way, want to know what ex-high school cheerleaders do when they get fat and ugly? They become TV promotions people.

I can promise you, most people in the newsroom hate that shit as much as you do.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Even major markets are full of empty suits.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cops died. Assclown suits have decided to promote their death to remind viewers how important their station is.
    Burn in hell, suits.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know that... it's the assclowns in management that decide to promote that who should be flogged and at this station, two of the three people in sports because one can't speak and the other backstabbed their way to a spot in sports.

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I remember when I once had the exquisite luxury of covering a woman's broad-daylight beating death. It was myself and three separate TV stations.

Now, no one is at their best covering this stuff, not even me. But the lack of decorum these assholes showed around this woman's family at the crime scene was stomach-turning.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All stations covered the shooting the same way.

This station was the only one I saw that bragged how they covered a cop getting murdered.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Beat writers can be herd animals.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Shit, I had to cover a funeral for a small town constable...poor guy ran across two wanna-be gang-bangers in a stolen car and he got shot. I wear a suit to the funeral, out of respect to the man and his family. This dumbass videographer shows up in shorts and a T-shirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted