1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV station reports on player dating coach's daughter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jimmydangles, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I don't hate this as much as some. It's not that interesting, but I can see someone sitting in a news meeting and saying, "Hey, wouldn't it be interesting to see how a player dating his coach's daughter affects their relationship?" It's really not that different from a story about a guy coaching his own son. In my mind, it could be a justifiable anecdote for a player feature. A lead? I probably wouldn't do it, but my panties remain unbunched despite the fact this guy did.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed when people announce that their high school kids are boyfriend/girlfriend. To the rest of the world it's just a way to identify the face buried in the QB's lap.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed. I wouldn't run the story, but I can see the argument for why someone would.

I love the "must be sweeps week" line in the original post, by the way. The equivalent of the parent screaming that you only covered the team's loss "to sell newspapers!" And while we're at it, there's no such thing as sweeps week.

4. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

I'm a high school writer and I can honestly say this story doesn't surprise me. Personally, I would never run it or write it.

But at the same time, I do find it interesting when standout athletes date each other at the high school level. And with Facebook, which our company has, we see when athletes have relationships end. I personally find it funny that relationship endings coincide with performances dropping off or "a bad game." Obviously I'd never use it in a story but it's still funny.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the folo: "UPDATE: HS QB tapped that ass!"

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Either that or he's gay and the coach is a genius for providing a beard for four years and keeping his daughter out of trouble.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I heard she has been using the prevent defense for a few weeks.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She got drunk at a party and the defense put eight in the box.

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Great quote from the girlfriend: "Matt's a great player. My dad really likes him. They have a good relationship. It's not really awkward."

What about the coach's other three daughters?

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was poorly done but it's a half interesting human interest story, I don't think there's anything wrong with it as an idea.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Eh, it's not great, but sometimes I can see looking for something different.

I wrote a story about a game in which one team's star player was dating the other team's kicker (yes, a girl). Had a little fun with the teasing he got from his coach and teammates.

I can only imagine how much he was embarrassed when one of the local TV stations did a short piece on them, including video of them out on a date.

I've seen stories after the fact about Gus Frerotte, who eventually married the daughter of his high school coach, when he was still playing.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted