1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV station "identifies" SF crash pilots: Sum Ting Wong, Ho Lee Fuk, and others

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ain't nothing common about common sense.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Could the anchor have realized that it was prank type right in the middle of reading it? She pronounced Fuk as "Fook," so maybe she recognized a bad situation and played it straight just so she could get through it and move on. Keeps most of the heat off her, since she didn't make it worse by saying "Fuck."

Seems like the natural inclination would be either a) to say it as "Fuck" if she's sleepwalking through her lines, or b) grind to a halt when she hits Fuk because she realizes something ain't right. She might have just waded through it and raised hell after the show.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see the anchor as the one person who is off the hook here. I think you're right that she realized the names and that's why she said "Fook" (she pauses right before that, which is when I think she realized the gag). But even if she realized it, she would have had to make a split-second decision whether to keep decorum and keep the show moving, or stop and perhaps compound the problem.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Then there's Chinese trampolinist Dong Dong. First saw him in 2008 and it sparked much hilarity among me and my sons.

Not so much for Grandpa Baker, who's still looking for his automobeeeeel.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-post/ktvu-fires-three-asiana-pilot-name-gaffe-report-105996

Money quote

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This one's been floating around Facebook all weekend:

http://slothed.com/2013/07/23/korean-news-station-pokes-fun-at-ktvu-with-fake-american-pilot-names-after-southwest-airlines-landing-gear-failure/

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Come on, Korea: Where the fuck was Heywood Jablome?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The story didn't really connect with me until I heard the clip. Comedy gold.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Were two people involved not fired? Did ex-pilot provide names?

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2013/08/exclusive-ktvu-fake-pilot-name-list.html

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I count one person there that wasn't fired -- the Managing Editor. And if this version of events is true, that's pretty shameful.

(And if that blogger keeps at it, pretty soon he'll be able to write in English.)

Draft saved Draft deleted