1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV station "identifies" SF crash pilots: Sum Ting Wong, Ho Lee Fuk, and others

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They also deal with train, truck and bus accidents, too, right?

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, people of all nationalities should be on duty in all TV newsrooms around the clock. That's the takeaway from this.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No. Just another example of people seeing a list of names and not realizing there are difference between Korea and China. Diversity isn't about hiring a rainbow coalition, it is about not just seeing the "people like me" perspective of stories. Which becomes a problem if a newsroom is constituted with people of similar backgrounds.
    We saw the same problem in the Asiana cockpit. People all from the same culture, duplicating the same mistake.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I cannot believe that shit actually got on the air. At a major market network affiliate station, no less. Talk about some people not paying attention. Sheesh, even I would have had suspicions about that list. One strange name? Maybe. But four? No freakin' way.

Dumbasses.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. DanOregon

One of the great things about technology is that it speeds things up. You can tweet something within seconds of something happening and "the world" will know. It has also encouraged management types to "streamline" their news ops. I'd be surprised if more than three people read these names before they were loaded into the teleprompter.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, it's about someone -- of whatever ethnicity -- having enough sense to question those names at first glance. If "Wi Tu Lo" doesn't set off some alarms, you shouldn't be working in news.

And what is the rush? Was the viewing public clamoring for the names of the pilots?

It's so stupid on so many levels.

7. DanOregon

Agreed. I'm waiting to see if it was a fake release (which I doubt) or just someone passing along a "joke" and someone misinterpreting it.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sorry. Any 14-year-old of any ethnic background who speaks English should be able to see Sum Ting Wong and figure out there's something wrong.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It started somewhere with somebody. Find out who, expose them publicly and fire them. And issue a big public Official Press Release to announce it.

Written by a PAID STAFF MEMBER.

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Yep. You make this happen, you allow this to happen, and you can't stay. You can't. Sorry.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have no idea what motivates someone to start something like that. Strange way to get your kicks.

Still, the people at the news outlet have got to pay a little more attention and not get played to be the fool. I mean, c'mon, you seriously thought those were real names of the pilots?

Draft saved Draft deleted