1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV sports guys are idiots

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Crossed paths with three or four of them today ... just had to get that off my chest.

Carry on.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Feel better?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know, doc, i really do. thank you.

4. hankschu

hankschu Member

One night a couple of weeks ago I'm watching the news and the sports anchor says the baseball team I cover left 17 men on base. I fell out of my chair and jumped to the box score online to make sure I didn't miss this mind-numbing stat. Instead of looking at the team LOB stat, he used the total for the individual LOBs.
    The next night, a different anchor on a different network did the exact same thing.
    As an aside, I think it's silly that the box scores include the total for individual LOBs, a meaningless stat anyway.

5. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Agreed. I can't help but laugh under my breath when I see them. One in particular spells at a third-grade level. He spells the same names wrong over and over and over again. He misspelled four different parts of one MLB player's last name.

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

We had a sports reporter at our local TV station ask the SID of an NAIA school in the area what a triple-double was. (This wasn't on the air.) She didn't last very long at the station.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Covered a high school softball playoff game this week that was delayed a day because of rain, so they decided to move it 75 miles west onto a field-turf facility and play it in a downpour anyway.

One of the TV guys is holding his camera in the rain, with excessive amounts of whatever hair product he was using dripping down his head, within a step of a canopy that had room for one more. The only word that came to my mind was tool.

I would've been more entertained but I was too startled/distracted by the semi-constant clanging of softball against chain-link backstop because neither pitcher could grip the ball in said downpour.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I don't follow the confusion on the difference between a team's total LOB and the sum of its players' individual LOB. Total's the same. And it's a relevant stat in an expanded box. I see one player stranding six or seven runners in a game, it says something ... Sorry to digress from the original peg of the thread. Want to make sure this stays above the "Water is Wet" thread ...

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I am astounded on a daily basis just how feeble-brained these guys are.

When they are interviewing people for these jobs, do they actually try to find fucking imbeciles?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A. It is not the same. Not at all. Bases loaded, no outs. I whiff. I get three. You whiff. You get three. Next guy whiffs, he gets three. That's nine. But the team is only charged with three.

B. Yeah, the print side of the business is full of geniuses. It is only the electronic guys who are full of crap or stupid. Truth is, there's plenty of idiocy on both sides. And plenty of good.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

sadly, none of these men/women are hired because of their sports acumen. they're hire for being telegenic. plain and simple.

and of course we're bitter about it. they make good coin. :( :( :(

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You're in TV, aren't you? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted