1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV Sports coverage thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 9, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tip of the Week!!!! Oh man. Good times.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I missed both. I watched some of the NFL game, but I just can't get interested enough in exhibition football. And like mustang17 said, I loathe the Yankees and Red Sox. I don't care what's on the line.

3. I watched the Cardinals-Pirates game Sunday afternoon, which started like this:

ANNOUNCER A: And welcome to PNC Park, where the Cardinals and Pirates are about to meet on the hottest day of the year in Pittsburgh.

ANNOUNCER B: The Cardinals are almost as hot as the weather as they look to complete the series sweep, and the Pirates are just as hot.

ANNOUNCER B: ... But not as a team, Announcer B, because they've lost seven in a row.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

What the hell was with the CBS coverage of the Bridgestone yesterday? I admit, I watch five tournaments a year: the majors and the Bridgestone (local interest), but I was appalled by the number of commercials.

Watch Tiger hit. Watch Padraig hit. Watch one other guy in the field hit. Go to commercial. Lather, rinse, repeat for four hours (Excuse me... four hours and five minutes... those guys in the last group were too damn slow [/tournament officials]).

I'm not expecting the Masters "56 minutes of golf every hour" treatment, but geeeeez.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My favorite will always be this exchange between the Braves announcers years ago when they were in town playing the Tigers.

Announcer A: Albert Pujols with another game winning home run this afternoon to beat (insert team). He's on pace for (insert number) of home runs.
    Announcer B: And I'm on pace to live forever.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My favorite was an exchange between Simms and Gumbel during a Packers-Browns preseason game in Cleveland a few years ago. It was right after the huge blackout in the northeast, and they got off on some tangent about whether or not they would be able to play the game.

Gumbel: They could play by candlelight. It'd be like church.
    Simms: That's kind of romantic.
    (An awkward 5-second pause follows)
    Gumbel: ... and the Browns have first-and-10 on the 35-yard line...

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Joe Morgan is terrible. He makes the same three points, ad nauseum, all night. I like Steve Phillips...some good insight. Luis Tiant's third inning visit on the broadcast last night should have come with subtitles.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It should also have come with a table of contents, since it was one of the longest in-game/in-booth interviews I've ever seen at a baseball game. Even Jon Miller put doing p-b-p on hold to chat with Luis.

I did, however, like the highlight reel of Tiant blowing away Morgan in the '75 Series. You'd think that would temper Joe's the-game-was-better-when-I-played attitude. But you'd think wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted