1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV shows that should have been good but weren't

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, May 16, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You know what I mean: top actors, a top writer, a top creator, a top executive producer, a compelling concept...show has one or more of these things, but it just doesn't turn out as good as you might have thought.

The main one that comes to mind is Family Law. Had Dixie Carter, Kathleen Quinlan and Julie Warner as the main cast, and had the creative genius behind House as a main producer. The main problem was that Dixie's overbearing Julia Sugarbaker persona, which generally worked for Designing Women, made her seem a harpy on this show. And the cast didn't have much chemistry. They even had Tony Danza for part of the run. And he played things straight. Which is not a good thing when you're talking Tony Danza.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Cop Rock and Manimal. End of thread. [/ducking]

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cop Rock was good

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Life on Mars (US version) - The UK version is awesome and the template was there to make a very good US version, instead they first tried to set it in L.A. Disaster. On the do over they chose New York. Another disaster. The original was set in Manchester. A grimy, foul industrial shithole of a Manchester. The US version should have went with a place like Cleveland or Detroit and they would have been on the right track.

Second epic fail is casting Harvey Keitel as Gene Hunt. He was way too old to pull that off. So utterly embarrassing. The rest of the cast followed suit into suckitude. I never finished watching it, but supposedly it ends with some alien shit, which was not the fucking point of the original.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip wasn't awful, but certainly didn't live up to its promise.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

77 Sunset Strip.

Never fully developed Edd Byrnes' 'Kookie" character. Relied way too much on Roger Smith and Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

ESPN's Monday Night Football.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was the first show that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title. So incredibly disappointing.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Still liked it. Would have watched more. Me and about 40 people nationally.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In a wrestling vein: TNA Impact.

Even though it's still on, their ratings are miniscule.

They have Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair to draw the viewers, and a lot of good young talent, but their shitty storylines push fans away.

11. Parenthood. I know it has a few fans, but one episode turned me off. Should be better.

That Aaron Sorkin (the guy who wrote West Wing) show about producing a SNL-type show - that most everyone on here would thought be better than Tina Fey's 30 Rock. Fools.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the one we have been talking about, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

mediaguy, I was also one of the 40 or so people who would have kept watching, but I stil thought it was disappointing.

Draft saved Draft deleted