1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV shows that hold up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I find myself watching Married with Children whenever I have the TV on.

I chuckle just thinking about the supermarket episode.

"Oh, miss? I think you dropped something."

"Thank you, market dweller."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ooh! Forgot about Dragnet. Amazing that even the later episodes are 40 years old and they still come across as solid cop drama.
    There was one where Friday and Gannon are investigating an LSD guru who is allegedly selling drugs to neighborhood kids. They don't have any hard evidence, they're just going to talk to him. The entire episode is a 20-minute debate on both sides of the drug issue that's as true then as it is now. Both sides make valid points and in the end nothing gets resolved (although the wrap-up scene shows that the dealer did end up getting busted).
    Great, great episode:
    http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2558656537/

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of my cable channels shows "Maverick." Not bad for a 50-year old show. Rockford Files is still OK, as long as we're on James Garner.
    From the black and white era "Perry Mason" remains magnificent. It was preposterous even then, but great preposterous.
    Whoever said "The Bob Newhart Show" I agree.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well, when it's been on for 20 years, you can point to the earlier episodes. Hell, take example, the season 3 episode that was just on Sunday in prime time. We had a thread devoted solely to that "Michael Jackson" episode.

L&O, M*A*S*H and Cheers all hold up for me.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

An underrated show at the time, still holds up now (I just got a season DVD for like three bucks) -- NewsRadio.

The Carol Burnett Show is one I never found funny then, but I think a lot of fans thne would think it was a bit too strained now.

6. sg86

sg86 Member

Married With Children - The husband-wife dynamic in that show could never ever get dated and if anything, has become even more relevant given how the relationship climate is trending more toward Al and Peg being the norm.

Cheers - Regardless of what anyone wants to say, the neighborhood bar aspect will always hold up. There's always a guy like Norm or Cliff or Coach or Woody or a woman like Carla. It'll always hold up for me.

Seinfeld - It's about nothing. How can nothing be dated?

Wings - I've always enjoyed this show. I think the earlier seasons are tremendously underrated.

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I think MASH and Wonder Years hold up well because they are set in a specific time period, not "today" and then 20 years later it's almost farcical to see how much has changed.

In addition to the first Bob Newhart Show, I'd add Newhart to it. I'd also agree with West Wing. Those three shows hold up, I think because they are more about people and relationships.

L&O, Columbo, Dragnet all hold up too because there's always going to be cops and robbers.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Taxi is definitely of its time, but it still makes me laugh.

Twilight Zone is the best answer, except for the ones shot on videotape. Those look like bad soap operas.

And . . . Twin Peaks. Dammit.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I love watching Miami Vice on DVD, aside from all the cheesy clothes the show is still pretty cool. At least the first three seasons.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

All unavailable for comment.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I took the thread title to mean if something looks clearly of its time, to the point of being distracting and not as good as you remembered. The whole Norman Lear oeurve is like that. And Dragnet? Gold mine of unintentional comedy. Long-hairs were almost invariably criminals or at least creepy. Golden Girls is chock full of topical references from the 1980s, but it seems to hold up decently.

12. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

The last two seasons of M*A*S*H feel dated. The rest, gold. I also really, really still enjoy The Mary Tyler Moore Show (interestingly, it looks washed out on TV, but the DVDs are spectacular), and I agree with whoever said WKRP holds up really well. All In The Family -- and, really, all of Norman Lear's 70s sitcoms -- feels really dated, although some of the episodes are still really powerful (the one where Edith nearly gets raped is the first one that comes to mind).

The show that really surprised me by making me laugh (although it's been years since I've seen it): The Odd Couple. It's very 70s, but still very funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted