1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV shows that hold up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 6, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Seinfeld. MASH. West Wing. Coupling on BBC and The Larry Sanders Show is like going back to the 90s but in a good way and it is still awesome.
    Friends is terrible. Dated. Not funny. I find it hard to believe I watched that show when it was first on.
    Friend of mine made an observation that people having cellphones in the episode is as big a dividing line as color and black and white. Even in West Wing's earliest seasons, pagers still played a key role in a couple of episodes.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"Family Matters" seems funnier than it did at the time, but maybe that's because my kids are big fans. Actually seeing it in passing, I have learned to appreciate the physical comedic talents of Jaleel White. Really.

Going back a bit, I saw an episode of the 70s Bob Newhart show, and it's still funny. Then again, Newhart's understated act is timeless its ownself.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Larry Sanders is a great one. Holy shit, that show was funny and it's almost better now seeing all the actors who had bit parts who are now pretty big stars.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My wife is a huge Mary Tyler Moore fan and that show is absolutely hilarious all these years later.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I will be watching this guy forever...

[​IMG]

6. 93Devil

You are right about Cheers. I hate to say it, but Seinfeld might fall into that class as well.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Mizzou, I forgot how funny Frasier was - watched a rerun of it on a flight to Florida last year and couldn't stop laughing.

Also:
    Seinfeld.
    The Cosby Show.
    L&O, L&O: SVU.
    ER.
    Old episodes of the Real World on MTV - NY, LA, SF. (RW now is like an exhibit in douchebaggery.)

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cheers got tiresome when it was still on.

Malcolm in the Middle is funny. I think The Office will hold up well.

A lot of these shows like Lost where you have to follow a complicated story line won't work in syndication.

9. 93Devil

Arrested Development is not old enough yet, but I am sure people will be discovering this show for deades.

I mean, how do you ignore a guy in the $5,000 suit? Come on!!!!

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Married with Children. Especially in this economy.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Surprised to see "MASH" mentioned. I don't think that one holds up well at all, particularly in its later "serious" years. "All in the Family" is unwatchably dated.

Among older shows, "The Mary Tyler Show," the original "Bob Newhart Show," "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and even "Leave it to Beaver" hold up remarkably well.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted