1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV shows that hold up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every few years since Cheers has been canceled, I usually start watching it again, usually during the summer when there is nothing else on.

This is the first time when I think I began to realize that the show does not hold up so well, almost 20 years after it finished. No harm in that, it's probably still my favorite network show of all time. Maybe it's because I've seen every episode so many times.

By comparison, and granted, it's only been off the air about five years now, but Frasier holds up remarkably well.

What other recent shows (80s and newer) do you think have held up pretty well in syndication?

I was thinking about this last night when I woke up and there was a Malcolm in the Middle marathon on Nickelodeon.

The first few seasons of that show are fantastic.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If this thread doesn't bring Mikey back nothing will.

Boy Meets World, Saved by the Bell, Home Improvement

3. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

West Wing ... I watch it on Bravo in the a.m. as I get ready for work. Especially the first 3-4 seasons ... amazing dialogue. Amazingly relevant, still.

4. Mizzougrad96

Home Improvement is one that I started watching again only to be mortified by how unfunny it is.

I loved the show as a teenager, but watching it again, it's a bad show. It wouldn't last one season these days.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was going to say Cheers, actually. Though it has been a few years since I caught it on any reruns.

Seinfeld still holds up remarkably well. And in a corny sort of way, the A-Team does too.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Take it back.

7. The Andy Griffith Show holds up well. Still wholesomely funny.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Always thought Spin City was kind of underated when it aired.

Still holds up pretty well for me, especially during the Michael J. Fox run. Charlie Sheen...not so much.

I concur with The West Wing. Love catching the repeats on Bravo

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

After all these years most episodes of MASH still hold up quite well

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's true. I loved that show when I was younger and now when I see it every once in a while, it pretty much sucks. Saved By the Bell might be even worse actually.

11. Mizzougrad96

Home Improvement today seems only slightly better than "According to Jim"

12. Mizzougrad96

Saved by the Bell, even as a teenager, was the guiltiest pleasure ever. It was awful, but in kind of a harmless, funny way. Keep in mind, for those of us who watched it when it was in first-run, it was a Saturday morning show. I think it came on after Snorks.

Draft saved Draft deleted