1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV shows canceled too early

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDJournalist, May 15, 2013.

1. It's Your Move was a funny show. Haven't seen it since it was on USA Network 10-15 years ago.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. The aforementioned Smith only had three episodes air of the seven they had already filmed. They did exactly that, and provided the scripts/storyboards/whatever of the remaining five episodes, posting it online briefly and offering it on iTunes/Amazon/etc.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Party Down
    Greg the Bunny
    Action
    Human Target
    Fastlane
    The Hour

4. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Happy Endings.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Buckwild certainly is up there with Deadwood among the great works of television art that didn't get a proper ending, but considering this is the network that only gave Rich Girls one season I guess we shouldn't be surprised. At least the Tom Green Show got to go out with dignity.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Class of '96

Playmakers

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Please tell me this is supposed to be in blue font ....

8. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

A couple of shows that are well in the past come to mind for me.

There was an NBC show in 1996-97 called Dark Skies that I thought was really good. The premise was that the infamous Roswell UFO incident was real and that aliens infiltrated our society have been influencing events ever since -- that everything we know as the history of the second half of the 20th century was manipulated by these aliens. I remember reading that the creators of the show had plans for how they were going to incorporate various historical events over the decades into the show. But nobody was watching. If I remember right it aired on Saturday night -- back when the networks still tried to program that night with original shows instead of reruns or reality crap. Then they pulled it off the schedule for a good two months and bizarrely brought it back for a final episode that tried to wrap everything up, since they knew the plug had been pulled. I love anything that deals with history -- or alternate history/conspiracy -- so I was disappointed that one didn't really get a chance.

And about 10 years ago CBS had a short-lived show that didn't make it through the fall called Citizen Baines. James Cromwell played a longtime U.S. senator who lost his seat and had to figure out how to go home and re-enter his life, reconnect with his kids, who are adults and have families of their own. I thought it was an interesting premise, but again, nobody watched and it got yanked.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Die. Now. Please.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

He has. Plenty of times.

But he keeps coming back.

11. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I think the show should have gone on forever and, like I said when I started this thread, this is about shows that got pulled too soon and couldn't close properly.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Actually, because of DVD sales/Netflix, more networks are allowing shows to shoot all 13 and/or give producers time to wrap up a show to some extent.

Man - Pushing Daisies was good, as was Back To You (though its premature demise brought us Modern Family). Eli Stone and Dirty, Sexy Money were good as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted