1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV services. Help me.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 21, 2017.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This won't be relevant for 99.9 percent of people. But it's cool. But we have split time between two homes for the last 2 years. Home # 1 has cable, which includes the sports teams I like to watch. Home # 2 has Fios with shitty sports teams from a market I don't care about. I can stream Yankees games to Home #2 by logging in with my cable user name and password, and sending it to a Chromecast on the TV. But MSG doesn't offer streaming of Rangers games, which I like to watch during hockey season. So I put a Slingbox on the TV in Home #1 and it streams from the cable box to a TV with a Chromecast in Home #2 via the Internet.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Been using Chromecast enough to give my summary of it.

Mostly love it. I give it a solid B. Picture quality doesn't quite match cable in most cases. It runs behind the cable feed, so if you're watching a game and surfing the net, you run the danger of spoiling the next play or so. Using Twitter and Chromecast together is dangerous. You're not going to easily be able to bounce between games. It's not quite as easy as pushing a button. You need to open up another site each time you want to cast something to the TV, so that can delay things. Fortunately I have someone else's cable login, so I can stream most sports. Without that, you'll have to search for streams online. I have found most things I want to watch linked on Reddit, but they aren't always easy to find.

Plus the feed jumps quite a bit. You'll have it go back five seconds and repeat a play. Does it quite often. Then eventually jumps ahead to catch up. All things I can live with. But not ideal if you want to be the one to host everyone for the big game.

I don't know if Chromecast is what you want if you want to replace cable. You can definitely use it for streaming services and anything else you find online. But I'm using a cable login to cast most things to my TV. If you're looking for a cheap alternative to sports, this probably isn't the best bet.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted