1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV services. Help me.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 21, 2017.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We use Chromecast and really like it.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is directed at me or OP.

Anyway, it's very easy and anyone searching to figure out how to use Kodi will find more than enough information on how to get content. Exodus is the main add-on and is almost always updated automatically.

So for the OP - download Kodi. Through Kodi download the add-on Exodus. I run this on my tablet and then use an mini hdmi adapter to run to my TV. Pretty easy. Wires yes. But, easy.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've been using Chromecast with my PC for about 18 months now and am pretty happy with it. I don't like some of the maneuvering I've had to do each time to get back to basic TV.

Thanks to everyone who's pitched in. Going to have to make a move soon, because the wife is balking at keeping the tier that has IFC, ESPU and the Fox sports channels.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Anyone doing that should know what it is they are doing, though. ... You are accessing pirated content with Exodus. If you do it without a VPN or some way of masking your IP address, you are leaving a footprint, and if someone gets a bug up their ass at some point and decides to make a few examples of people, you should at least be aware of what you are doing. Also, you are opening yourself up more than most people realize. Earlier his year, the developer of Exodus, who is anonymous, was being threatened with having his identity revealed. So the person (who goes by the name Lambda), put a few lines of code into his plug-in to target the people who were threatening him with denial of service attacks -- using all the exodus users out there as bots and having their computers launch the attack. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that big of a deal, but you are relying on someone who is anonymous with that plug in, and if he decided to do something malicious to create a botnet -- whatever his reasons -- you are going to be vulnerable.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

I will say that I got a call from my ISP 3-4 years ago regarding a torrent, kind of scared me off of that.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No one wants to pay for content anymore.

Thieve away! seems to be the motto of the day.

7. jr/shotglass

Yup. I can live with that.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Setting mine up now!

HC likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Chromecast doesn't work with Amazon Prime, but otherwise I have no complaints.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Gaming note - If you have a Playstation, their Vue service is pretty reasonable. It has a good package of channels, and I believe a built-in DVR and what not. It's cheaper than cable in my area, but I'm kind of stuck with cable anyway because it's the only highspeed Internet game in town. (i.e. It's $60 for Internet alone at Cox, $50 for Verizon, and only $5 to $10 to add channels on top of them.)

11. jr/shotglass

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I keep hoping cable companies will double or triple internet prices if you don't also subscribe to their TV offerings. I'm evil that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted