1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV series in book form?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Anyone else think this idea would work?

For example, if some series I followed, such as The X-Files, Midnight Caller, NYPD Blue, ER, etc. were available with episodes together in book form, I certainly would buy them.

Thoughts?

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Some author has continued the Rockford Files series as novels. Haven't read one yet but picked one up at a used-book shop the other day.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, there is an X-Files graphic novel with some original stories and a couple TV adaptations:

http://www.amazon.com/X-Files-Vol-1/dp/1933160020/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7274389-7913633?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189087172&sr=1-1

There are a bunch of X-Files books, but they are original stories.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Best example, most successful in literary terms anyway, was the book spinoff of the classic BBC series back in the early 80s, Yes, Minister. Great series about Jim Hacker, a likeable but dense pol who is knocked around like a ping pong ball by a civil servant, Sir Humphrey Appelby, who supposedly works for him. The books based on the series (and its later incarnation, Yes, Prime Minister, in which a slightly more experiened Hacker gets a measure of revenge) were the working diaries of one of the more sympathetic civil servants, Bernard Wooley. Hysterical series and rewarding books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_Minister

YHS, etc

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

YPM was decent. I still hold the BBC responsible, tho, for drastically changing M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series. The books are charming little murder mysteries set in Scotland. The series, while okay, was set in Scotland and had a character named Hamish Macbeth. That's about all they had in common.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I have all of these volumes. They are wonderful to read, and I once had a politics major I sang with tell me they helped her a great deal in her studies.

I give official briefings, you leak, he has been charged under section four of the official secrets act.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are novelizations of episodes of some television series out there. There are also novels telling stories based on existing and cancelled series. This is particularly big with science fiction. I have seen novels like this for Star Trek (in all of its incarnations), Smallville, Battlestar Galactica (the new one) and X-Files, just to name a few that come to mind.

I would probably read NYPD Blue books, but I would rather see new stories than episodes in novel form. It's a way to continue to follow the stories of the characters once the show is off the air.

Maybe they can get Sorkin to write a West Wing series now that Studio 60 is gone. :)

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

OOP: Great idea in regards to West Wing!

9. I can't wait for PTI: The Novel!

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks. I would read it with others writing it, but hell...Sorkin could just turn in scripts without bothering to put it in the form of a novel and I'd buy it.

Then again, I loved most of the show's run, even without Sorkin. The last couple seasons dragged a little, but ended strong. Left me wanting more stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted