1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV reports...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, May 16, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

When the local TV sports guy finishes his piece with "we're awaiting further details on this report."

Is that the same as saying "after I read my newspaper in the morning, I'll pass along more on this?"

:D

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If they do read the paper, it's my experience they call the people who wrote the story and try to get info on their sources. It's also my experience they're told to take a long walk off a short pier.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Or you can do what the stations here do - just go with the story and forget about crediting where they found it from (AP, local papers).

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Or if they're the reporter from the Big State Daily, they flat out tell you that they just look at the FB of your site and another competitor for their ideas now since they closed their bureaus.

5. noodles

noodles Member

TV reporters in this town are generally lazy....and if they get something wrong, oh well, it floats out over the airwaves and is gone in a nonasecond.

Flipped channels Sunday night to hear the TV sports anchor tell me that the Bulls led the Heat at halftime, 49-47 (nope it was 48-48).

Then the anchor tells me that the Cubs and Giants were rained out for the second day in a row (Saturday's game was rain-shortened but an official game).

Had to change channels before they told me Tiger Woods still was in the hunt for the win at the TPC. What a mope.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yup, because print journalism NEVER gets it wrong.

Being a former TV sports guy that also did radio and has mixed in newsprint for the last decade, that's a low blow. Everyone makes mistakes...heck, we had a score wrong in our cap score today. It got fixed, but that's because we can.
    Hell, you have a 'delete' button in front of you while you type. Can't do that with your voice.
    Vice versa, I've watched our news desk watch the 6 p.m. news, hear about something we don't have and start pounding out info to get on our website. It happens the other way just as much...

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

That would be a fail. Been on both sides of the print/electronic divide in a mid-sized market with four TV outlets. Combined, they would average one item a week that our paper didn't have (and actually cared about).

Without the newspaper and our website, three of the four TV sports anchors would have less to say than Marcel Marceau during a nap.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

In my experience, most TV reporters, especially sports, are relatively lazy when it comes for looking for story ideas or news breaks.

Even look at ESPN, SportsCenter or BottomLine usually says "Yahoo! Sports reports ... " or whatever other outlet when it comes to breaking news. Generally when ESPN claims to scoop a story, it's when a reporter / analyst who has a background with a pro team does it. Adam Schefter broke the McPower Trip being fired story, and he used to work for the Post.

Draft saved Draft deleted