1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV Reports in WVA - OJ Mayo busted for weed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Mar 10, 2007.

1. So it's just easier to believe anything.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

That's a really good point. But not getting the truth dosn't mean that we have to automatically make the athlete guilty. I'm not trying to defend anybody. I just want the truth.

3. Magistrate dismisses pot charge against Mayo

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) ä A Cabell County magistrate dismissed a marijuana citation against Huntington High basketball star O.J. Mayo on Monday after another man took full responsibility for the drugs.
    Magistrate Betty Wolford said she dismissed the citation at the request of Cabell County Prosecutor Chris Chiles.
    The basketball playerás charges were dismissed after Esau Johnson signed documents, saying the drugs were his.
    Johnsonás attorney, David D. Perry, said Mayo and the others charged did not know his client was carrying drugs.
    ààIám cautiously optimistic that this was a bad decision by a young man, that he realizes the gravity of the circumstances and how it reflects on other people who had nothing to do with it,áá Perry told The Herald-Dispatch in Huntington.
    Mayo was among four males cited on misdemeanor marijuana possession charges by sheriffás deputies late Friday night.
    Cabell County Sheriffás Deputy Doug Adams said officers serving a search warrant at a house pulled over a Cadillac they deemed suspicious. Mayo was a passenger in the vehicle.
    The driver of the car, Marquis Dawson, pleaded guilty Monday to simple possession of marijuana and was sentenced to pay a $50 fine plus court costs.
    The fourth person cited is a juvenile whose name was not released.
    Adams said Dawson had a small amount of marijuana on him and there was marijuana in a spare set of shoes in the back of the car.
    Adams said Mayo was the only Huntington High basketball player in the vehicle.
    Mayo, considered one of the nationás top prep players, has been named the stateás boys basketball player of the year by the West Virginia Sports Writers Association. He transferred this season from Cincinnatiás North College Hill to Huntington High, and signed a letter-of-intent in November to play next season at Southern California.

It should also be noted that the boy's state basketball tournament starts Wednesday in Charleston. Huntington is going after its third straight Class AAA state title.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Looks like someone gets to take a bullet and keep their job with Team Mayo

5. Cleared?
    Never.

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

A high school basketball player hanging with people that smoke weed? OMG! Whats next, football players doing steroids and HGH? Politicians telling lies? Coaches being scumbags?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

8. O.J. getting busted for dope in of itself isn't a huge deal. I mean 19-year-olds get high, that's what they do. I did.
    What is disconcerning is how reckless he does it. And how it's come on the heels of a year in which a lot else has gone wrong. One dope bust is one thing, but the kid seems to keep getting in the news for the wrong reasons.
    He left West Virginia for a reason in the first place. He shouldn't have gone back.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Wow. I went to school with Esau Johnson, the guy who took the rap for Mayo. No joke whatsoever. He was a hell of an athlete back in the day, for what that's worth, but he was also a fuck up, so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Draft saved Draft deleted