1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV Reporter quits over death threats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Female investigative reporter in Denver quits, fearing for her life the result of an investigative report she did exposing a fraudulent businessman.

The former reporter claims the threats were credible enough the businessman's shrink violated HIPAA laws to contact her about possible threats.

TV station paid for private security, but eventually pulled it due to the costs.

Reporter Quits After Receiving Death Threats: ‘My Physical and Mental Health Were Unraveling’

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If jumping inside a Dumpster wins you an Emmy, I'll have to go through life without one.

3. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

I feel like I should've won something for the various managerial Dumpster fires I've survived.

Z3lda and Gator like this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

She knew the risks. She didn't mind being a bitch to that guy on camera for a few ratings points. Of course there's going to be consequences. I'm not defending the psycho. I'm just saying, don't try to save the world from the devil and think the devil is just going to sit on his ass and take it.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bitch on camera? C'mon. She pushed the story forward, and the guy shit his pants.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Right. Because being "a bitch" journalist means she should take it from a psycho devil.
    I hope for journalists' sake, you @Doc Holliday are never ever in charge or somebody's boss.

Ace, RickStain, studthug12 and 5 others like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So she was asking for it? Great attitude there guy.

JC and gingerbread like this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What do you expect? She was drunk and wearing a short skirt she was asking for it, right Doc?

Ace, HanSenSE, YankeeFan and 4 others like this.
  9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Investigative journalism - especially in TV - is fairly high risk, high reward.

It's a job that is now in demand, in 2016, because viewers say they want more investigative pieces. The trouble for a newsroom comes in having a news director/manager okay with an actual investigative reporter who may turn up 2 detailed and researched stories a month. Far too many say they want investigative but want that reporter to turn a story every day or every other day. The result is usually a "we looked into this scam... and found nothing" story that leaves everyone unsatisfied.

The benefit to being an investigative reporter now is that you make more money and the job market is in your favor. The downside is... this. Threats against your life, lawyers emailing you and threatening to get you fired, etc.

The truly successful investigative TV reports burn out after about 2 or 3 years in a market. By then, they've pissed off enough business magnates and city leaders that they have to move onto the next market.

10. Doc Holliday

Sensitive little pussies aren't you? She knew the risks. That's what happens when you investigate known criminals. Maybe she should have refused the assignment. But it looks like she enjoyed being a bitch, stirring up shit and getting in the middle of it. I don't feel a damn bit sorry for her.

11. Doc Holliday

I've been in charge of plenty during my career. Never had a complaint. Always had my reporters' backs. Piss off. You don't know me from jackshit.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    JordanA likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

A rational response to a story you don't like is A) sue if you were unduly defamed B) refuse to work with reporter again C) start a PR push to discredit the station and the reporter D) all of the above. An insane response is to give death threats. A bullshit response is to suggest it is her own damn fault she is receiving death threats from a psycho.

Draft saved Draft deleted